Re: Olivia Plunket Greene?

  • jeffreymanley123
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 14, 2011
      Wrong again. But I can now say with some certainty that Olivia Plunket Greene died on November 11, 1958 (not 1963 as Hugh Massingberd surmised). This is based on a November 12, 1958 letter from her mother Gwen to Evelyn Waugh in the Waugh archives at the British Library. Gwen also wrote that she had saved all of Waugh's letters to Olivia. She herself was, however, taken to the hospital a few weeks after Olivia's death and apparently died sometime in 1959. According to a 1983 letter from her grandson Alexander to a prospective biographer and correspondent of Gwen (Harman Grisewood), Gwen's son Richard Plunket Greene (Alexander's father and Olivia's brother and a close friend of Waugh's) simply got rid of anything to do with the family when he cleaned up after the deaths of Olivia and Gwen. Alexander told Grisewood that none of Gwen's correspondence survived (and one may presume the same was the case of Olivia's, altho Alexander was not asked about that). Richard died in 1978 and Alexander himself in 1990. Alexander's 1983 letter is archived in the Harman Grisewood Papers Part II at the Georgetown University Library's Special Collections. jeff