a commercial announcement

  • Robert Davis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2011
      This has almost nothing to do with Waugh, although he comes up once or twice, but I would like to announce that my new book, "Born-Again Skeptic & Other Valedictions," is now available from Mongrel Empire Press through its website or through amazon.com and some other on-line bookstores. The essays are mostly personal, but some deal with aesthetics and modern literary movements. A more coherent collection, "The Ornamental Hermit: People and Places of the New West," is available from Texas Tech University Press and elsewhere. Bob Davis
    • Jeffrey Manley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2011
        The final episode of the BBC series The Country House Revealed with Dan Cruikshank was transmitted about 2 weeks ago and was perhaps the most interesting of the lot.  (Waugh was also mentioned in the first episode which dealt with the estate of South Wraxall in Wiltshire.)  This final episode related to a house in County Down, Northern Ireland known as Clandeboye which was the seat of the Marquess of Dufferin and Ava. Waugh knew the 4th Marquess at Oxford.  His family name was Basil Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood and he succeeded to the title in 1930, an event Waugh recounts in his diaries (p. 323) for that year.  Waugh was speaking to Basil's mother, Lady Dufferin (the former Brenda Woodhouse), at the moment she received news that her husband (the 3rd Marquess) had been killed in a plane crash. The house itself is not as interesting as the family which Cruikshank describes at length.  He is a personal friend of the present Lady Dufferin, formerly Belinda Guinness, wife of the 5th Marquess who died without an heir in 1988.  She has apparently inherited the house and estate (still some 2000 acres) and is trying to sort out what to do with it.  She and Cruikshank are viewed looking through a guest book kept in the early 1930s and find the signature of Evelyn Waugh which is shown on camera.  Waugh may have visited after the incident of the air crash in which he was speaking to Basil's mother but there is no further explanation of how he came to be there and I don't find anything in his biographies or letters/diaries.  I suppose he may simply have dropped by but I wonder if the visit was instigated by Lady Dufferin or her son?  The house has its own station (shown on the program and called Helen's Bay) on the railway line between Belfast and Bangor.  Waugh also seems to have been a friend of Basil's wife, Maureen (also nee Guinness).  She is also sometimes referred to as Lady Dufferin by the understandably confused the indexers of Waugh's diaries and letters (confusing me as well). Does anyone on the list know the circumstances of Waugh's visit to Clandeboye?  jeff