BBC sword of honour

  • jeffreymanley123
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2010
      According to today's Observer a large cache of old BBC and ITV TV plays from the 1950s 1960s has been discovered in the Library of Congress. These were tapes shipped to WNET for consideration of rebroadcast. I wonder if the BBC Theatre 625 production of Sword of Honour may be among them? Are there any other Waugh TV dramatizations made in this period that may have been thought lost? Apparently, at present there is squabbling over the rights to these productions now that there are so many new ways to market them. There will be a limited release at the BFI/National Film Theatre in London but I don't know whether SoH will be among those on view.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/sep/12/lost-tapes-classic-british-television

      jeff
    • Jeffrey Manley
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2010
        Here's some information about the TV film which was broadcast in three 90 minute episodes in January 1967, so it seems to fall within the period covered by the copies found at the LC.  Edward Woodward played Guy and Freddie Jones was Ludovic.  Ronald Fraser (who I think was in the Poirot series) played Apthorpe and Vivien Pickles, Virginia.  I can't say I regonnize any of the others.

        http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/1378602/index.html

        To: Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com
        From: manleyjm@...
        Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:33:26 +0000