Entire EW oeuvre to be republished in 47 volumes by OUP

  • Antony F. P. Vickery
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2009
      The entire EW oeuvre is to be republished by OUP in 47 volumes over 15 years, says a brief report in today's Evening Standard (London).

      See http://londonersdiary.standard.co.uk/2009/12/jackal-plans-an-epic-revisit-of-waughs-works.html .

      Antony F. P. Vickery
      Lansdale, PA
      USA
    • Jeffrey Manley
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
        I wonder who the editor(s) will be?  Has anyone heard?  jeff

        To: Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com
        From: afpv@...
        Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:52:04 -0500
        Subject: [Evelyn_Waugh] Entire EW oeuvre to be republished in 47 volumes by OUP

        The entire EW oeuvre is to be republished by OUP in 47 volumes over 15 years, says a brief report in today's Evening Standard (London).

        See http://londonersdia ry.standard. co.uk/2009/ 12/jackal- plans-an- epic-revisit- of-waughs- works.html .

        Antony F. P. Vickery
        Lansdale, PA
        USA

        Get gifts for them and cashback for you. Try Bing now.
      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
          --- In Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Manley <manleyjm@...> wrote:

          > I wonder who the editor(s) will be? Has anyone heard? jeff

          I understand that Alexander Waugh is to be the General Editor, and he plans to edit a dozen or so volumes of diaries and letters. Alexander is forming an editorial board, and he has asked Robert Murray Davis (who will edit Brideshead), Donat Gallagher (who will edit journalism), and myself (who will edit A Little Learning). I imagine there are others, but I don't know the details yet. A few scholars have politely asked to edit some of the novels, but the editors of many books have yet to be identified.
        • Jeffrey Manley
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009
            Wonderful news!  And can we now hope for the complete journalism, diaries and letters?  Do we know what order they will be published in?  Hopefully, they will publish them in the order they receive the copy from the editors so we don't have to wait until the end for the previously unpublished stuff.  jeff

            Windows LiveT Hotmail is faster and more secure than ever. Learn more.
          • John
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009
              --- In Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Manley <manleyjm@...> wrote:

              > And can we now hope for the complete journalism, diaries and letters? Do we know what order they will be published in? Hopefully, they will publish them in the order they receive the copy from the editors so we don't have to wait until the end for the previously unpublished stuff. jeff

              Yes, everything that EW ever wrote, or at least everything that can be identified. Unexpurgated diaries and letters. Alexander has found a number of unpublished letters. He will take fifteen years or so to edit the diaries and letters, but scholars will work on the novels, travel, and biography, so those should appear steadily throughout the period. May we all live to see its completion!
            • Jeffrey Manley
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2009

                EW has appeared in another of the Guardian's 10 of the Best book series.  This week's column is devoted to the 10 best deathbed scenes and, perhaps not surprisingly, Brideshead is on the list.

                More surprising is the inclusion of a Waugh character in the list of 10 of the Best Teachers a few week ago (21 November).  They list Paul Pennyfeather in this group, although I would have thought Mr. Samgrass would have been a more appropriate selection, or even Prendergast or better yet Grimes.  Any of those three strikes me as a more memorable literary depiction of a teacher than Pennyfeather.

                jeff

                Chat with Messenger straight from your Hotmail inbox. Check it out