1st and 2nd novels

  • jeffreymanley123
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12 7:15 AM
      The Times has issued another series of lists--this time they post the top 10 one hit wonders, the top ten 2nd novel successes and the top 10 2nd novel flops. Waugh makes the 2nd novel success list with Vile Bodies. Here's the text:

      "Less studied and autobiographical - and much funnier - than Decline and Fall, Waugh's first, with which Vile Bodies shares some characters. A sure step upwards towards the heights of Scoop and Brideshead Revisited"

      They probably get this one right (altho I wouldn't agree about BR representing the 'heights' of Waugh's production unless you measure it in number of books sold). But they oddly get it wrong about Martin Amis whose 2nd novel. Dead Babies, they consider a dud. His first was The Rachel Papers, which I should think doesn't get much attention today. Whereas, I've always thought Dead Babies was the Vile Bodies of the 1970s and despite being somewhat over the top, will survive as a major work of that period (which was after all somewhat over the top as well). jeff