Skip to search.

NYRB Waugh article

  • Jeffrey Manley
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 2008

      The October 9 NYRB contains a long (4-5 pages) Waugh article ("Evelyn Waugh Revisited" ) by Daniel Mendelsohn who is a regular contributor to that journal.  Unfortunately, it is not included in their online edition.  It was inspired by the recent film but the writer went back and read the novel before writing it and either read the earlier novels or reviews of them.  So, what he offers is mostly a survey of Waugh's writings up to BR and then an extended review of BR the novel and finally a brief (and negative) review of BR the film.  The writer clearly prefers Waugh's pre-BR books and notes the usual flaws in BR itself--religiosity, best-seller sentimentality and purple prose.  He also hints at the inclusion of some of Waugh's usually high standard of satiric writing in the portions dealing with non-Flyte subjects such as Ryder pere and Anthony Blanche.  He provides a connection between Castle Howard and Brideshead which struck me as a bit thin.  But it's a well written article.  Nothing new for Waugh scholars but then that is not its target audience.  And it faults the movie for many of the same reasons cited in the recent EWN reviews.  It's not the story Waugh wrote which even though flawed is preferable to the film version.  jeff

    • Jeffrey Manley
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2008

        In today's Guardian newspaper Christopher Hitchens reconsiders BR the novel and Granada TV series in light of the more recent movie which, not unexpectedly, fares rather badly.  As usual, his insights on the novel are worth reading, although his defense of some of the more purple bits doesn't convince.  Perhaps they come off better as movie or TV voice over.  jeff

        <http://www.guardian .co.uk/books/ 2008/sep/ 27/evelynwaugh. fiction>

      • Jeffrey Manley
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008

          In this week's Spectator magazine literary columnist Alan Massie picks up BR after reading about the movie and rereads much of it at one sitting.  His thoughts are recorded in the article linked below which are more about the book than the film.

          http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/books/2303876/life-and-letters.thtml

          You live life beyond your PC. So now Windows goes beyond your PC. See how
        • Jeffrey Manley
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 19, 2008

            The Cheltenham Festival of Literature is concluding today.  It included as something called the Big Read the reading of BR and book groups on that novel all over Gloucestershire.  Alexander Waugh and Selina Hastings also appeared in a discussion of BR at the festival (John Mortimer was also listed but seems to have dropped out) and Alexander also did a presentation relating to his recent work on the Wittgensteins.  Here's a link:

            http://cheltenhamfestivals.com/bigread/

            If you go to the bottom of this next link, there should be an interview with Alexander Waugh about his festival presentations.

            http://cheltenhamfestivals.com/

            Store, manage and share up to 5GB with Windows Live SkyDrive. Start uploading now
          • jeffreymanley123
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2010
              I also forgot this article posted earlier. The link below looks a bit wonky but the one on the blog for Sept. 27, 2008 still works. So Hitchens has written a fair body of work about Waugh.