50 Greatest postwar British writers

  • jeffreymanley123
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2008
      The Times did a survey of the 50 greatest postwar British writers
      and left out Evelyn Waugh. Here's a description of their criteria:

      http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/boo
      ks/article3130859.ece

      Here's a comment that I sent to them:

      I join an earlier commenter questioning how, under your own
      criteria, you can include Orwell and exclude Waugh. Waugh's postwar
      output was no less "significant and enduring" than Orwell's and both
      had equally impressive prewar works. Waugh's Brideshead Revisited
      is his most popular work (although not with me) and surely one of
      the most most widely read postwar novels. (Another TV dramatization
      is reportedly underway.) Perhaps it failed to make the cut because
      it was published in May 1945 but by then the war was effectively
      over. That seems a rather petty justification for excluding such an
      important postwar author. His The Loved One (1948) and Sword of
      Honour trilogy (1952-61) and are clearly both enduring and
      significant and warrant his inclusion even if BR is ineligible. I
      suggest that you have another look at what seems to me a serious
      injustice. jeff manley