Greetings from a new member

  • Ron Criss
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2007
      I know very little about Waugh. Once attempted Brideshead Revisited,
      but soon grew distracted by another book. I am a Catholic revert and so
      familiar with Waugh's reputation. I work in a bookshop and happened to
      notice the Everyman's Library edition of the Sword of Honour Trilogy
      while placing another book near it, was impressed by the cover and the
      synopsis, and so purchased it and am enjoying it. Perhaps I'll try
      Brideshead again after.

      But a few questions. What are the benefits of becoming a member of the
      Waugh society? (I live in the USA) What do you all think of the Daniel
      Craig version of Sword of Honour for the screen? And I was wondering
      about some of the names in SoH. Does Crouchback have any hidden
      meaning? Any other names I should know about?

      Thanks,
      Ron
    • Michael and Sonja Tyson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2007
        Ron,

        Sorry this isn't an answer to your questions in the second paragraph, but I just wanted to write in quickly that Brideshead was my first Waugh, and I didn't like it til the very end.  WOW, what an ending.  I have since read almost everything (fiction) by him.  Still have some on my list, but when I'm done, I'm going to reread Brideshead.

        Cheers,
        Mike

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2007
          Mike,

          I'll probably read Brideshead after I finish the Sword of Honour
          Trilogy. Thanks for the encouragement!

          Ron

          --- In Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com, "Michael and Sonja Tyson"