Query: Article re fête at Piers Court

  • Antony F. P. Vickery
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
      Frances Donaldson's "Evelyn Waugh: Portrait of a Country Neighbour" (London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1985): contains the following passage (p. 50):

      When Jack [the author's husband] and I arrived at the fête we found that two young Americans had chosen to present themselves in the hope of an interview. They had been rather roughly pressed into service, and were at that moment moving furniture. Later one of them was sent with Jack to act as car park attendant while the other was added to the troop of children performing various menial jobs. They seemed very young and rather baffled by their reception, but when they returned to their own country one of them wrote what is said to be an exceedingly funny article describing the fête, and it was this as much as anything that gave the impression it was representative of the life Evelyn had adopted.

      I have not succeeded in finding this "exceedingly funny" article on-line and would be grateful for information concerning its author and publication history.

      Antony F. P. Vickery
      Lansdale, PA
      USA
    • John H. Wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
        I think the article in question is E. R. F. Sheehan, "Weekend with
        Waugh," Cornhill (Summer 1960): 209-25.

        It doesn't seem to be available online.

        I'm away from my books, but I believe Martin Stannard uses quite a lot
        of the article in the second volume of his biography of Waugh.
      • Liam Quinlan
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
          According to the FictionMags Index it is:
          The Cornhill Magazine [No. 1024, Summer 1960] ed. Anon. (John
          Murray); Details taken from photocopy of Table of Contents. [PSP]
          v • Biographical Notes • Anon. • bg
          209 • A Weekend with Waugh • Edward R. F. Sheehan • ar
          226 • The Limited Share • Mary Lomer • ss
          238 • The Australian Sack-Knot • R. P. Lister • ar
          241 • D. H. Lawrence and `Miriam' • J. A. Bramley • ar
          250 • Wheels • Elspeth Davie • ss
          268 • An Hour in a Museum • Gordon Meyer • ar

          http://philsp.com/homeville/FMI/b53.htm#A595

          --- In Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com, "John H. Wilson" <jwilson3@...>
          wrote:

          > I think the article in question is E. R. F. Sheehan, "Weekend with
          > Waugh," Cornhill (Summer 1960): 209-25.
          >
          > It doesn't seem to be available online.
          >
          > I'm away from my books, but I believe Martin Stannard uses quite a
          lot
          > of the article in the second volume of his biography of Waugh.

        • princessnaea
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
            wrote:

            > I think the article in question is E. R. F. Sheehan, "Weekend with
            > Waugh," Cornhill (Summer 1960): 209-25.
            >
            > It doesn't seem to be available online.
            >
            > I'm away from my books, but I believe Martin Stannard uses quite a
            lot
            > of the article in the second volume of his biography of Waugh.

            Stannard's biography describes the fete in Chapter 9, 'Mr Pinfold
            Sees it Through', pp352-355 in my Flamingo paperback edition. He
            cites Sheehan's article in which S recounts Waugh's invitation to the
            fete:

            " 'We need men of resource,' Waugh wrote, 'to manage traffic, detect
            thieves, "bark" at sideshows, spend money, and judge children's
            sports. Also in the morning to help erect booths.' He wanted to
            know if Sheehan were a conjurer, ventriloquist, contortionist or
            trumpet soloist. If so, these skills could be put to good use.
            SHeehan replied that, while possessing none of these
            acccomplishments, he was willing to stand on his head reading
            selections from Finnegans Wake."

            Sheehan also quotes Waugh as saying that, while on lecture tour in
            the United States, "the enquiry most often directed at me was whether
            or not I slept in the nude."

            ~ Naomi