Mark Gerson on photographing EW

  • Antony F. P. Vickery
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2007
      A recent discovery: Mark Gerson describes his
      1959 and 1963 visits to Combe Florey to photograph Evelyn Waugh.

      "He opened a bottle of claret and puffed at a
      large Havana cigar. He offered one to me as we
      finished the bottle. It seemed churlish to
      refuse, so I started to smoke. Within half an
      hour I had a splitting headache and was fit for
      nothing ­ certainly not photography. I explained
      my predicament to EW and asked for some aspirin,
      saying I needed to sleep. This cheered him up immensely."

      Times Online, October 11, 2003: http://tinyurl.com/yuany5.

      Antony F. P. Vickery
      Lansdale, PA
      USA