EW sighting

  • Jeffrey Manley
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
      In this week's Spectator Alam Massie has an article (see link but act
      quickly as it will last only one week) about novels written in the first
      person singular. He takes EW's Brideshead Revisited as his prime example of
      the success of this technique and notes that EW had previously eschewed
      first person novels. I won't comment on his judgement since I have always
      found BR all but unreadable, but I now wonder if Waugh's shift to the first
      person narrator has something to do with that. Perhaps because Charles
      Ryder is NOT the author EW the technique has weakened what I like best in
      Waugh's earlier novels. jeff manley

      http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/books/28264/first-person-singular.thtml

      Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more´┐Ż.then map the best route!