EW and Eton

  • jeffreymanley123
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2006
      There's a review in this week's Spectator about a recent history of
      Eton College. The reviewer leads off with some EW quotes on the
      subject of Eton. These are from his biography of Ronald Knox. Here's
      a link: http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/books/25046/the-
      windsor-boys.thtml

      But there's another even more apt quote of a comment Waugh made about
      Eton and I can't remember where it is. It may not be in his writing
      but in a comtempoary's (perhaps Anthony Powell's) recollection of a
      comment by Waugh. The gist of it was a discussion of social status
      bewteen Waugh and the Old Etonian, and Waugh dismisses the various
      points being considered by summing up with the phrase: 'But, of
      course, you went to Eton,' as though that explained everything and the
      discussion was irrelevant. Does anyone remember the details?

      jeff manley
    • Jeffrey Manley
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2006
        I found the reference to Eton by Waugh and it is indeed in Anthony Powell's
        Memoirs v. IV, The Strangers All Are Gone, p.40. As it turns out it
        involves a discussion of Ronnie Knox. Waugh said that Knox could be chilly
        if surroundings were in the least unsympathetic and Powell responded he had
        never noticed that. Waugh then replied, 'You were at Eton and Balliol.'
        So, not quite as I remembered it but not far off. jeff

        >From: "jeffreymanley123" <manleyjm@...>
        >To: Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Evelyn_Waugh] EW and Eton
        >Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 18:09:02 -0000
        >
        >There's a review in this week's Spectator about a recent history of
        >Eton College. The reviewer leads off with some EW quotes on the
        >subject of Eton. These are from his biography of Ronald Knox. Here's
        >a link: http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/books/25046/the-
        >windsor-boys.thtml
        >
        >But there's another even more apt quote of a comment Waugh made about
        >Eton and I can't remember where it is. It may not be in his writing
        >but in a comtempoary's (perhaps Anthony Powell's) recollection of a
        >comment by Waugh. The gist of it was a discussion of social status
        >bewteen Waugh and the Old Etonian, and Waugh dismisses the various
        >points being considered by summing up with the phrase: 'But, of
        >course, you went to Eton,' as though that explained everything and the
        >discussion was irrelevant. Does anyone remember the details?
        >
        >jeff manley

        Get real-time traffic reports with Windows Live Local Search
        http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.336065~-109.392273&style=r&lvl=4&scene=3712634&trfc=1