Re: [Evelyn_Waugh] betjeman and waugh

  • dave matheny
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 22, 2006
      ". . . that wonderful gift he has for bringing out the startling and alarming and
      funny in the trivial will be spurred into renewed activity. . ."

      In many ways, James Lileks is a successor of Waugh's in this. His "Interior
      Desecrations" and "The Gallery of Regrettable Foods" books are triumphs of gimlet-eye
      writing. Since publication of the books, he has added online material to both. For
      architecture, try http://www.lileks.com/institute/interiors/index.html.

      His whole site is a delight.

      --Dave Matheny
    • John H. Wilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11 6:41 PM
        --- In Evelyn_Waugh@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Manley" <manleyjm@...>
        wrote:

        > He wrote in 1965 to Laura Waugh about Compton Acres at Parkstone:
        > Does anyone on the list know to what Betjeman was referring?

        Compton Acres is a "real" place, or at least it has its own website:
        www.comptonacres.co.uk

        The place is in Poole, Dorset. The website shows pictures of fourteen
        different types of gardens: Roman, Italian, Japanese, etc. Compton
        Acres seems to be the Epcot Center of gardens.
      • Jeffrey Manley
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 12 6:31 AM
          John Wilson wrote:

          >Compton Acres is a "real" place, or at least it has its own website:
          >www.comptonacres.co.uk

          John, Yes, I see that now. Thanks for the links. It seems that Betjeman
          was down there on a visit and saw it as a case of just the sort of over the
          top bad taste that Waugh would enjoy making a meal of. I wonder why he
          wrote to Mrs. Waugh rather than her husband?

          The Betjeman Centenary is now in full spate. Many of the events seem a bit
          on the flashy side (gala theatrical performances, chartered trains, etc.)
          but then he was more of a popular celebrity than Waugh who spent most of his
          time alienating people. There are, however, several literary events in
          which one would hope something would come out about his somewhat problematic
          relationship with Waugh (and perhaps Waugh's with Mrs. Betjeman, altho I've
          always found those rumors a bit far fetched).

          Here's a link to the Betjeman Centenary events.
          http://www.johnbetjeman.com/

          jeff