Clarke Plaza, Saturday June 14th, Signature Gather, Free Concert, Living Wage

  • Bill Holmes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2008
      Hello Friends,

      I will be out gathering signatures in the area of Clarke Plaza at 3rd
      and E Streets in Eureka tomorrow, saturday June 14th form noon til 2
      pm. There will be live music there.

      I will be gathering signatures for both the Eureka Fair Compensation
      Act ( a $10.00 an hour minimum wage that is desperately needed by our
      working people) and for the Eureka Youth Protection Act ( to end the
      military recruitment of our children under 18 in Eureka.) Our
      brothers and sisters in Arcata have already validated their initiative
      and we need to do the same.

      Please come join me if you wish to become involved. We need unpaid
      volunteers that can spend 2 to 3 hours per week gathering signatures
      in public spaces. You must be a registered voter within the Eureka
      city limits to gather signatures, though others may help us in other
      ways.

      thank you and have a peaceful day,
      Bill

      Below is a story of interest to the living wage movement:

      http://highboldtage.wordpress.com/2008/06/13/court-cintas-corp-ignored-hayward-living-wage-laws/

      Court: Cintas Corp. ignored Hayward work laws
      Tyche Hendricks, Chronicle Staff Writer

      Friday, June 13, 2008

      In a precedent-setting ruling for cities across California, a state
      appeals court this week upheld Hayward's living wage ordinance as
      constitutional and ordered Cintas Corp., a laundry business that had
      contracted with the East Bay city, to pay $1.4 million in back wages,
      interest and penalties to 219 workers.

      --
      Help for Eureka's Working Poor:

      http://eurekaworkers.org