83BP, Gulf Fishing Communities, CALPERS, Diane Wilson

  • Bill Holmes
    Apr 14, 2011
    Oil giant BP has been threatened with 'Vietnam-style' fight from fishermen still seeking compensation as the first anniversary of the Deepwater disaster approaches.
    Representatives of the fishing families who bought shares in the company were at BP's first annual meeting since the Deepwater disaster in the Gulf of Mexico which is being held in London today.

    Byron Encalade, president of the Louisiana Oysterman Association, said: 'Our fishing grounds have been depleted, our oysters are dead and we're not receiving the funds we need to sustain ourselves.

    'We completely shut down, we lost everything after the spill. We had good faith [BP] were going to make our communities whole, but they've gone down the wrong road.'

    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1376844/BP-protests-compensation-Deepwater-Horizon-disaster.html#ixzz1JVrUeU7u

    It was reported two major shareholders - Calpers, the biggest US public pension fund, and Florida State Board of Administration - both said they would oppose the annual report and vote against the re-election of Bill Castell, non-executive director and head of safety, ethics and environment assurance committee.

    BP will not only face anger over executive pay as it is preparing for an acrimonious showdown with environmentalists, Gulf of Mexico residents and anger over its strategy in Russia.

    attached photos of Diane Wilson, activist who smeared herself with oil in protest.