Table Talk

  • Natty Bumppo
    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 1, 2008
      "pimped_her_out" <torturedoutlaw@...> wrote:

      > Any talk during the play of the hand is considered
      > table talk. . . .

      That is incorrect. "Table talk" is only speech (or
      other communication) that gives your partner guidance
      in the play of the rest of the hand.

      "How's the weather?" or "Ohio State is No. 1" would
      not be "table talk" unless it constituted some kind
      of prearranged signal.

      And here are just a few examples of talk about the
      very game being played -- even the very hand in play
      -- that normally do not constitute "table talk":

      1. "Partner, that queen of diamonds I led was good"
      -- after your partner trumped your queen of diamonds,
      the king and ace of diamonds having fallen on a
      previous trick and the fourth player to the trick
      in question having earlier shown out of trump. This
      is a complaint after the fact. There is nothing your
      partner can do to make up for his bonehead play, and
      your remark gives your partner no guidance on the play
      of the rest of the hand. It does constitute a form of
      saying "PAY ATTENTION!"; but that is not "table talk"
      either, just valid general advice (see No. 4 below).

      2. "Funny lookin' heart!" spoken by the dealer who
      picked up the jack of hearts, after his partner took
      the first trick with the ace of clubs and led back
      another club. This is another "after the fact"
      complaint, too late to recover from the failure to
      make a pre-emptive trump lead. It gives partner no
      guidance for the play of the rest of the hand --
      unless he takes the second trick, which is highly
      unlikely (in that case, and in that case only, it's
      "table talk").

      3. "The rest are mine" when you have nothing left
      in your hand but indisputable winners.

      4. "Don't go alone with 8 points" after your partner's
      8-point loner already has been stopped but before all
      the tricks have been played. This is general advice,
      with a reference to the hand being played, but without
      guidance for the play of the rest of that hand. It is
      always permissible for two partners to discuss strategy,
      out loud or in private, before, during or after a game,
      as long as the discussion does not give guidance, from
      present private knowledge, on the play of the hand in
      play.
    • Todd
      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 5, 2008

        kmaxm2001,

              Thanks for sharing this with us.  This is good stuff to know. I like to know WHAT to look for when it comes to cheating. My lunch break euchre buds had a good conversation on your topic. We as a group have also come to agree that if you notice your LHO using the "Hindu shuffle", or any other shaky lookin deal or the dealer just plain goes alone to often to demand the cards for a cut. Once in hand give the cards a good riffle shuffle before handing back to the dealer.  This is perfectly legal. "Every player may shuffle the deck, but dealer last."  The "Hindu shuffle" does NOT randomize the cards llike the riffle shuffle does. The "Hindu shuffle" seperates the deck in packs and keeps the cards in piles as they were previously played moreso than a riffle shuffle. I say "GOOD STUFF" and thanks again!   =D> :-$ >:)