A new toy

  • Gerry Blue
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2001
      I've been working on my Java skills of late and when I was trying to
      decide on a project, I thought it would be fun to explore game
      programming and guess which game I picked? As I thought about how to
      code the program so as to be a challenge for even the most gifted
      Euchre player, I got intimidated. The logic involved in deciding
      which suit to make and which card to play, is probably more brain
      work that I was really interested in for a "pet" project so I came up
      with a simpler and a little more unique (I think) project.

      I decided on a Euchre application that would allow a user to set up a
      scenario and play it out to see how well their strategy works. The
      program is not yet complete and, if you're so inclined, you can be
      part of the development process. There's several decisions in terms
      of functionality and UI (user interface) that I haven't made yet and
      would really appreciate some input.

      The URL of the applet is
      http://www6.brinkster.com/gblue/euchre/euchre.htm if you want to
      check it out. You'll probably notice right off that some of the
      obvious aspects of setting up a scenario are missing such as:

      Who's the dealer?
      Who's turn is it?
      What was turned over/ordered up?
      What's the score?
      What about loners?

      These items are all on my ToDo list but if you have any thoughts on
      these items (or others) please let me know. I'm also planning on a
      way to predetermine a scenario so that I can create a poll here and
      provide a link to the scenario described in the poll so that you can
      try out your strategy decision and discuss the results here.

      Gerry
    • Gerry Blue
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2001
        I just found out that it looks much better in MS Internet Explorer
        than it does in Netscape. If any of you are using Netscape, I'll add
        that little problem to my ToDo list. In the mean time, you might
        want to consider downloading and installing IE. It's free and, IMO,
        it's just a better browser. Besides, didn't Netscape announce a
        couple of months ago that they're not going to put any more effort
        into further browser development?

        Gerry