Re: An Interesting Lead At 8-9 Down

  • uka_coach
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 3, 2006
      Yeah, i think it's a pretty interesting debate, although I must
      admit it probably won't result in any answers or conclusions.

      At the end of the day, science or maths cannot disprove the
      importance of intuition, instinct and feel. Those factors are not
      easy to quantify, and that's probably the reason why
      the "professors" of euchre don't like to admit their presence or
      there relevance. They like to just sweep it away or refer to it
      as "voodoo"

      Well it dosen't have to be a science v instinct debate. I mean I am
      not questioning the relevance of sound strategies which have been
      proven time and time gain, I am just saying that there is a lot more
      scope to euchre than just numbers. And a complete player is 1 that
      can combine all aspects of the game together, and realizes that
      there is more to the game than just the crads dealt, it is a game of
      people as well. Im not for 1 moment saying that I'm that player,
      just that I would like to be and I try to be.

      Anyway, what I've learned from playing euchre is that although sound
      strategies and principles are very important to a good player, some
      of the greatest value can come from knowing and being aware of the
      key moments in a game when those same principles actually do not
      apply. Call it voodoo, call it what u want. I call it instinct,
      and it runs through the veins of every good crad player.

      --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Blue <gblue42@...> wrote:

      > Well, not everyone. ;-)
      >
      > It's just so much fun to watch someone else argue the point, and
      quite well I might add, that some of us are simply sitting on the
      sidelines enjoying ourselves.

      > Gerry

      and that's not surprising given the name of the group LOL.

    • uka_coach
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 3, 2006
        Yeah, i didnt explain exactly what every player held. However i did
        state that after revisity the hand at gerry's euchre lab, that there
        was only 1 play that resulted in a set, and even with that play, it
        still hinged upon my LHO making a mistake.

        Irrelevant...? if u say so? For me it is just another example of
        why a defensive trump lead is often the best play when your opponent
        orders a trump into his partner's hand. In this case 1st seat had
        JT of trump, which made leading the trump a little trickier. I
        agree with you that leading the right is not a good lead, but I
        still maintain that I needed to lead a trump, so it had to be the
        little 1

        3 naked trump, well that's just my silly was of saying he had no
        other strength in his hand.

        --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com, "Natty Bumppo" <borf@...>