Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: On whining and Bagging

Expand Messages
  • jjewels212
    Hi Rev, It was nice to meet you too. And yes, not everyone who plays in Clockwork Orange is a complete jerk. Some can actually play well, too. You say you have
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hi Rev,

      It was nice to meet you too. And yes, not everyone who plays in
      Clockwork Orange is a complete jerk. Some can actually play well, too.

      You say you have a lot to learn, but I see you have already memorized
      one of the most important rules listed in my book on page 37: Always
      Blame Your Partner. ;)

      -J


      --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com, "Duane McCormick" <revgorgo@...>
      wrote:
      >
      > Appreciate the notes, and nice to meet you at Clockwork Orange where
      I usually hang around and lose a lot.
      >
      > I have much to learn, but sometimes it's not so much fun because of
      the people. The people you saw me playing with today were good
      sports, however and full of fun. Of course I lost again, but it was
      NOT MY FAULT!!
      >
      > ----- Original Message -----
      > From: jjewels212
      > To: EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com
      > Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 11:32 AM
      > Subject: [EuchreScience] Re: On whining and Bagging
      >
      >
      > Which room do you usually play in on Pogo? I've found that the best
      > players, but also the biggest whiners and egos, play in Clockwork
      > Orange. And yes, this vocal minority has made the word "baggers" into
      > an epithet. I've been accused of bagging when I've set the maker
      > holding only the R or guarded L. People don't like getting set when
      > they call thin, so they blame the opponents for this terrible sin they
      > call "bagging."
      >
      > I enjoy a good aggressive game of euchre, and will call or order thin
      > from every seat except third. I believe many aggressive players make
      > the mistake of ordering too thin from third seat rather than suffer
      > the ignominious "bagger" laber. However, third seat is optimal for
      > bagging for several reasons:
      >
      > 1. A good player will tend to pick up thin as dealer rather than lose
      > the deal or give opps a chance to call. Here's your chance to set him.
      >
      > 2. In third seat, you have no control over the opening lead. The
      > dealer, to whom you just gave a trump, gets to play after you. This is
      > not a good position for you to be in.
      >
      > 3. Your partner may be sitting on a loner in the opposite color, or in
      > next. Your partner passed first seat for a reason. Let him call
      his hand.
      >
      > 4. If you order third seat, you give the dealer a trump, a chance to
      > better his hand by discarding, and the opportunity to play last. These
      > are all to your disadvantage, so you should have a very strong hand if
      > you expect to score. Otherwise, bag.
      >
      > There is a difference between strategic bagging and poor play. Poor
      > players will pass a good chance for a point because they are afraid of
      > being set. You can usually tell these players by their stats: they
      > generally lose 50% or more of their games. Strategic bagging, on the
      > other hand, is simply a weapon in your euchre arsenal. Used correctly,
      > I believe it will net you more points than you will lose.
      >
      > So bag away, if it's appropriate! And don't let the whiners get
      you down.
      >
      > -Julie
      > .
      >
    • Gerry Blue
      What? You mean I m not allowed to blame the stupid cards? jjewels212 wrote: You say you have a lot to learn, but I see you
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2006
        What?  You mean I'm not allowed to blame the stupid cards?

        jjewels212 <julisinchicago2@...> wrote:
         
        You say you have a lot to learn, but I see you have already memorized one of the most important rules listed in my book on page 37: Always Blame Your Partner. ;)


        Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.
      • jjewels212
        No Gerry, you are not. Tsk Tsk Tsk. You would know this if you had read my book as closely as Duane has. Also on page 37: Never Blame the Stupid Cards. You
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2006
          No Gerry, you are not. Tsk Tsk Tsk. You would know this if you had
          read my book as closely as Duane has. Also on page 37: Never Blame the
          Stupid Cards.

          You are, however, allowed to blame the opps for bagging, pausing, and
          getting dealt idiot-proof cards. "My _________ could play those cards"
          works well. Fill in the blank with your choice of "four-year-old,"
          "pet gerbil," or "Stevie Wonder."

          Hope this clarifies.

          -J



          --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Blue <gblue42@...> wrote:
          >
          > What? You mean I'm not allowed to blame the stupid cards?
          >
          > jjewels212 <julisinchicago2@...> wrote:
          >
          > You say you have a lot to learn, but I see you have already
          memorized one of the most important rules listed in my book on page
          37: Always Blame Your Partner. ;)
          >
          >
          >
          > ---------------------------------
          > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.
          Great rates starting at 1¢/min.
          >
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.