What hath Yahoo wrought?

  • Natty Bumppo
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 1, 2006
      Since Yahoo's euchre site has been fried,
      I have been playing spades.

      And if you think the average euchre player
      is stupid, you should play spades. Wow.

      One other observation: Pogo's spades site
      is vastly superior to Yahoo's -- except for
      the annoying Pogo option allowing stupid
      people to boot bright people.

      And a suggestion: If we are to have any more
      Euchre Science "socials," Pogo social lounges
      now are the best venue. But the hosts will
      have to eliminate "TRAM" and 11-point games
      if we are to play euchre.
    • mike wheeler
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 5, 2006
        I think we all know that our strategies do change from live to on-line play.Myself,I next to never donate during live play but defiantly do during on-line play for sure.During live play I don't use the "next" call as often either and defintely don't try to call for my P as I do during on-line play.I can almost nail my P's suite during on-line play 8 out of 10 times.Even to the point to where i get me and my P accused of IMing.As far as the "depend on your P for one" is more applied to live play.I hardly ever need to depend on my P for 1 during on-line play.One of my nic's record on-line is like 584 to 227.Do I really think I would have a live record that good?I don't know,it seems that I heard somewhere that if you 50% live that was good.What is a good winning percentage Live? Can someone let me Know ?Please.
                                                                      TY,
                                                                              WHEELERMR

        Todd <jtmwingnut@...> wrote:
        Congratulations Ed! That's awesome. Totally awesome. I am surprised to here you had different partners though. In Daytion's Grand Prix singles event I had on more than one occasion the same opponents and partners. It's good to here the singles events are getting worked out. WTG =D> Hats off to ya!

        --- In EuchreScience@ yahoogroups. com, "Ed" <tbolt_65@...> wrote:

        > Actually last week in Indy, and I took first place with a 7-1 record
        > playing a full game of euchre, all with different partners. But I know
        > the arguement you are trying to make. Majority of the players at this
        > live tourney were all online euchre players though. But I know some
        > live euchre players that are much better than online players and I met
        > one this past weekend.
        >
        > I would generally agree with you that online players get more hands in
        > verse live players and see more possibilities. Won't get an arguement
        > from me. Donating I also agree should be a part of everyone's game.
        > Though, used sparingly and in certian "situations" . Not as a
        > rudementary ploy when one has no cards in their hands so they have to
        > assume they need to donate. I don't like that at all when I hear
        > people say that.
        >

        > Ed
        > --- In EuchreScience@ yahoogroups. com, "Todd" jtmwingnut@ wrote:
        > >

        > > When was the last time YOU played a live game competitively?
        > >
        > > Aren't we all playing the same game even if Yahoo programs more late
        > > game loners. I don't think anyone is being discriminated against. I
        > > think one might think more loners are attempted or made online because
        > > we play alot more in less time online than versus live.
        > >
        > > The tension level of play rises a little (a lot) more for me when
        > > playing live. When playing online I only need to worry about if
        > > opponents are IM 'ing (cheating) one another. So much is done for us in
        > > online play compared to live. It's E A S Y to play online compared to
        > > live. In a live game so many things need to be accounted for along with
        > > the body language that's involved. The shuffle, the cut, the deal,
        > > calling out of turn, leading out of turn, reneging, does everyone have a
        > > drink, table talk, elbows bumping score markers, is the music too loud,
        > > does your opponents breath stink, stealing the deal, watching for tells,
        > > agreeing on rules, yada yada yada. The live game can be very nerve
        > > racking while looking for all these things, but much more fun I think.
        > > Donating whether live or online should be a part of your game period. I
        > > do believe that the competitiveness online would benefit you more if you
        > > would donate at every 9-6 or 9-7 score in your favor at first chair. I
        > > also believe your online players are more experienced and have come into
        > > play with the donation more than the average live player. Most, and I
        > > said most, of the players I've played with live aren't aware of a
        > > donation and alot of other little helpful hints we read here on ES.
        > > Thank you all ES members.
        > >
        > > Teach a young'n how to "steal a deal!" ; - )
        > >
        > > --- In EuchreScience@ yahoogroups. com, "Ed" <tbolt_65@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Live vs online and donating.
        > > >
        > > > Well I can tell you donating is a solid strategy regardless of where
        > > > it is employed in regards to online and live. Ok so it has been
        > > > speculated that online is skewed resulting in more loners. Perhaps.
> [...]

        Do you Yahoo!?