Re: New poll for EuchreScience

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 2247 , Jul 1, 2006

              I learned this from teaming up with Patricia recently online which she heard from Julie who heard it from an Australian euchre champ.  In the past I have always led the 9 (trump) to my 3rd chair partner, 2nd round, caller. MOST of the time a point is made and SOME times euchred. In most cases a call from 3rd chair in the 2nd round  is a sign that power is disstributed more evenly. With a lead of trump, there goes two trump for one trick. I have noticed from my own experience if  my 1st chair partner DOES NOT lead trump to me, a point is surprisingly made. If you decide to try leading away from trump on a 2nd round, 3rd chair call I think you will find yourself:

      1. making a point more often.

      2. not getting euchred as much

      3. being able to make thinner calls from 3rd chair

      Try it , I think you'll like.

      Todd

      p.s. Thank you Patricia, Julie and Aussie euchre champ! ;)

      When leading trump to partner in this instance

      --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com, EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > EuchreScience group:
      >
      > EUCHRE SCIENCE POLL #1 - REVIVISTED:
      >
      > In October of 2000, the following ES Poll was:
      >
      > The dealer's on your right. The bid has been passed
      > 6 times. Your partner calls trump and you have the 9.
      > You also have an outside singleton ace. It's your lead.
      > What should you do?
      >
      > The final 2000 poll results were:
      > 25% lead the ace
      > 50% lead the 9
      > 25% not enuf info
      >
      > How are we thinking 5 years later and please give feedback.
      >
      > o Lead the ace
      > o Lead the 9 of trump
      > o Not enough information

      > web site listed above.
      >
      > Thanks!

    • robin neill
      Message 2247 of 2247 , Aug 25, 2015
        You can't be serious. It's ignorance to lead a lone ace as you suggest for several reasons.  One being, if your ace catches what the lone maker has, it will catch it on the last trick as well as the first.  Secondly, you are not allowing your partner to sort his hand and eliminate one of the other two suits (other than your ace suit) in question.  First lead is all about eliminating suits for a stopper. And, statistically, the player going alone, is going alone with an off suit ace.

        So there's  a good chance my partner has 2-3 aces and trump, one of them being A of trump & no junk cards.
        That's the only thing that would make sense not to lead a lone Ace.

        On Sunday, August 23, 2015 6:04 PM, "bookcasedust@... [EuchreScience]" <EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        maybe if holding  a king - jack doubleton too?