Re: Calling Next at 9-9

  • bimbert84
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      > Alright, we scrape back into a game and get to 9-9, but it is their
      > deal.
      >
      > I am 1st chair with: QTd, As, Ac, Ah. Up is the Ad.
      >
      > Should I order? Should I lead trump?

      I would. In this case, waiting for next helps only if you get some
      real help from your P, probably in the form of a bower. And if he's
      got a bower in hearts (next), he's got one in diamonds.

      Remember, at 9-9, it doesn't matter WHO called trump, only what IS
      trump. If dealer has the Rd, the Ad is going to picked up, anyway.
      No point in fretting it. Besides, he's no more likely to have it
      than anyone else.

      What you don't want is everyone passing. That means nobody is strong
      in diamonds, in which case your hand would've probably scored. But
      then it'll be too late, and you'll have to pick something else.

      And I'd definitely lead trump. And after my 1st ace trick, I'd lead
      trump again. You've got to flush out the trump to make those aces
      good. Unless someone's got 3 trump, you have a real good shot to
      score. And if someone does have 3 trump, they were probably going to
      order it, anyway.

      -- Rob
    • Natty Bumppo
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
        Nathan Chow wrote:

        > > It turns out 2nd had all four
        > > jacks and a king of clubs . . .
        >
        > > 2) Shouldn't 2nd have ordered
        > > with JJ and [red] A up?
        >
        > Yes.

        NO. His suit is clubs, and he can
        afford to wait on it. If he orders,
        the danger is too great that a smart
        aleck in first chair will lead trump
        through him and catch the dealer's
        ace and his partner's bower on the
        same trick.

        If dealer feels strong enough to
        pick the ace up on his own, no
        problem. And with all four bowers,
        second is sitting on the other two suits.

        Patience, patience . . . .
      • Joseph J Cravero
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
          Rob,

          I thought the same thing after I passed. When I passed, I was
          thinking that if they don't want diamonds, we want hearts because of
          p's likely bower. I banked on p help being a Jh or guarded Jd in
          hearts.

          It is more likely to be an "unguarded" Jd/Jh in diamonds since I have
          2 and 1 is up. Plus, QT is the bottom 2 trump. At least a trump Ace
          of Hearts will get rid of some bowers and/or let p duck with a
          guarded Jd.

          With 3 off-aces though, it would have worked better as you say to
          play with two trump and hope no one has 3 (or that 2nd and 4th don't
          have two each to cash separately).

          Hindsight is 20-20 I guess.

          Thanks for the response.
          Joe
          --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com, "bimbert84" <bimbert84@y...>
          wrote:

          > > Alright, we scrape back into a game and get to 9-9, but it is
          their
          > > deal.
          > >
          > > I am 1st chair with: QTd, As, Ac, Ah. Up is the Ad.
          > >
          > > Should I order? Should I lead trump?
          >
          > I would. In this case, waiting for next helps only if you get some
          > real help from your P, probably in the form of a bower. And if
          he's
          > got a bower in hearts (next), he's got one in diamonds.
          >
          > Remember, at 9-9, it doesn't matter WHO called trump, only what IS
          > trump. If dealer has the Rd, the Ad is going to picked up,
          anyway.
          > No point in fretting it. Besides, he's no more likely to have it
          > than anyone else.
          >
          > What you don't want is everyone passing. That means nobody is
          strong
          > in diamonds, in which case your hand would've probably scored. But
          > then it'll be too late, and you'll have to pick something else.
          >
          > And I'd definitely lead trump. And after my 1st ace trick, I'd
          lead
          > trump again. You've got to flush out the trump to make those aces
          > good. Unless someone's got 3 trump, you have a real good shot to
          > score. And if someone does have 3 trump, they were probably going
          > order it, anyway.
          >
          > -- Rob
        • bimbert84
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003
            Hi Joe,

            > I was thinking that if they don't want diamonds,
            > we want hearts.

            Maybe. But your hand is quite a bit stronger in diamonds than in
            hearts, so I think it's more accurate to say "if they don't want
            diamonds, we want diamonds."

            -- Rob