Discarding the card ordered - Natty's column

  • Gerry Blue
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2003

      Gerry

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • bimbert84
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2003
        > On question No. 1 Mr. McLeod is absolutely right: There
        > is no rule limiting the discard. In fact, if the lead
        > player orders up and goes alone, there are cases in which
        > it would be foolish for the dealer to keep a singleton
        > trump, since the maker will most likely lead trump and
        > take it.

        The term "foolish" is a bit strong. If you keep the trump in favor
        of card X, you'll lose the trump on the first trick. But if you keep
        card X in favor of the trump, which card will you ditch on the first
        lead? I'll bet it's card X.

        The term "foolish" can also be a bit weak. For example, my P once
        ordered the R to me. Imagine his surprise when he lead a low trump
        and I sloughed! (yes, it was an accidental misclick)

        -- Rob
      • Natty Bumppo
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2003
          One time to ditch a singleton low