Leading to the right bower - Natty's column

  • Gerry Blue
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003

      Gerry

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Joseph J Cravero
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
        For the only euchre: I led the 10c, which North takes with Ac. If
        North leads Qd to East's Ad, then South plays As and is hit with the
        Left from West. Only if West leads back the Ks or Qs is the euchre
        scored. Otherwise, the Ah is otherwise ruffed by North and South's
        Right gets them the point. However, it is entirely logical for West
        to lead back the trump since he has 2 of the highest 3 remaining,
        plus the off Ah.

        In the most logical solution on the 10c lead: North takes with Ac.
        North leads back 9s to South's Right Bower. South leads back either
        heart, which North ruffs. 3 tricks in a row for the dealer's team.
        West has Left-King for last 2 tricks. I would hope that North
        doesn't take a club trick and lead it back. It's the weak suit, and
        West voided himself and has the end-play.

        In another play of the hand, the lead of singleton Ah: North ruffs.
        North leads back 9s to South's Right Bower. South leads back either
        heart, which West trumps with Qs. If West pulls trump with Left,
        North loses 10s and South loses As. West leads Ks for their second
        equalizing trick. West then has to lead the club to North's ace. No
        euchre.

        In another play of the hand, the lead of Qs/Ks: North follows with
        9s, South's As takes. South's heart lead forces West's Ah, which
        North ruffs with 10s. And South's Right gets them the point.

        In a stroke of madness, the lead of the Left: North follows with 9s,
        South's Right takes. South's heart lead forces West's Ah, which
        North ruffs with 10s. And South's Ace gets them the point.

        Or in a stroke of madness, the lead of the Left: North follows with
        9s, South's Right takes. South's As takes the second trick. South
        leads a heart to West's Ah. West's remaining trump is their second
        trick. But West still has to lead the 10c to North's Ac on trick 5.

        --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Blue <gblue42@y...> wrote:

        > Natty's column dated 8/1/2003 has been uploaded to the files area.
        You can read it at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EuchreScience/files/Natty/2003/Natty_200
        3_08_01.html