Lead the aces

  • jjewels212
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2008
      Lead the aces, save the crap.

      I've tried it both ways, and played with partners who play it both
      ways. The ace lead is unequivocably better.

      1. Don't make me guess where the aces are. Show them to me.
      Otherwise, I will assume you don't have any and will trump you later
      when the opponent leads.

      2. I want to see your best card. Again, don't make me guess.

      3. Your ace is more likely to draw an opponent's trump than another
      lead. Drawing the opponents' trump without wasting ours is a good
      thing.

      4. If I ordered with both bowers and the nine, your queen lead could
      force me to ruff with the nine. The obvious danger is that the dealer
      will overruff. My valuable trump is wasted, and I will probably be
      set.

      5. If your ace walks on the first trick, I am in much better position
      to plan my play on the next trick. I can decide whether to ruff or
      duck based on the cards in my hand.

      6. If your ace walks, I know we are a third of the way to our point.
      Again, please don't make me guess.

      The only slight advantage I see to leading crap before an ace is the
      ace has a slightly better chance of walking after pulling trump. In
      actual play, I have observed that the disadvantages far outweigh this
      slight advantage.

      Lead the ace dammit!

      Please ;)

      -Julie

      --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com, "Perry Romanowski"
      <thejoggler@...> wrote:

      > rather be lucky than good.
      >
      > I'm with Sword, save the aces, lead the crap.
      >
      > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM, pimped_her_out <torturedoutlaw@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com <EuchreScience%
      40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "Natty Bumppo" <borf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > "I ALWAYS call when I have two
      > > > trump," she explained.
      > >
      > > I was gonna argue that maybe she had factored in sum metagame
      > > considerations... but then that last paragrapgh just shot my
      theory to
      > > hell. LMAO... the amazing thing is how she managed to get a
      > > respectable rating with such a strategy.
      > >

      > --
      > http://justyouraveragejoggler.com
      > http://euchreuniverse.blogspot.com

    • Natty Bumppo
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2008
        Sorry, I didn't have an ace, either.
        The queen of clubs was my highest card.

        I had a three-card suit, but -- talk about
        inviting the dealer to overtrump.

        But what to lead when your partner orders
        from third chair is not quite so simple as
        "Lead trump, dammnit!" or "Lead the ace,
        dammit!" either one. It depends on other
        factors, such as (1) is the ace a singleton?
        (2) is it "next" or is it "green"? (3) could
        you use a march? (4) must you avoid a euchre?

        As a column scheduled for release tomorrow
        will point out (based on many more samples
        and simulations than reported in message
        No. 10548).

        "jjewels212" <julisinchicago2@...> wrote:

        > Lead the aces, save the crap. . . . dammit! . . .
      • bananastew
        Message 3 of 19 , May 2, 2008

          --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com, "bananastew" <bookcasedust@...> wrote:

          > --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" chrisco311@ wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In EuchreScience@yahoogroups.com, "Natty Bumppo" borf@ wrote:
          >
          > sorry to hear that. But is it good to lead trump or not?
          >

          > When partner makes trump and you have the first lead, lead trump, even
          > if you only have one!
          >
          > If you don't have trump, lead an ace!

          Correction >> lead a singleton ace. (if you have)

          > If you don't have an ace, lead the Qc or some other crap.

          Correction  >> a singleton ace