Traci Laird on Brighid

  • Stephanie N. Canada
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2013
      From:  http://hedgeconfessions.com/2012/02/

      Brigid daughter of Dagda,
      Brigid wife of Bres,
      Brigid mother of Ruadan,
      Radiant Flame of Gold, noble foster-mother of christ.

      We are under the shielding of good Bríd each day,
      We are under the mantle of Bríd each night,
      We shall not be lost in this shifting age,
      We shall not be thrown from our path,
      We shall not be abandoned,
      We shall not be beaten,
      Nor political corruption dismay us,
      Nor apathy delay us.

      No fire, no sun, nor star shall burn us,
      No lake, no water, nor sea shall drown us,
      No arrow of betrayal nor dart of deceit shall wound us.
      Bríd is our comrade,
      Bríd is our escort through danger,
      Our choicest of women, our guide,
      our Saint, our Goddess.
      ~ Traci Laird

      Enjoy,
      Stephanie
      _____________________

      I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
                                                                                     ~~ Galileo
    • Suzanne McAnna
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013
        Thank you so much, Stephanie, for sending this to the list. Traci adapted this descant from the Carmina gaedelica (Alexander Carmichael's collection of Scottish Gaelic prayers, blessings, charms, etc., dating from late 19th to early 20th century), where it occurs in several versions. I think Traci credits the Carmina on her blog.

        For me this one is the most beautiful and powerful version, and am so grateful to Traci for crafting it. I often use a (slightly further crafted) version of it in my own work with Brigid.

        All praise to Brigid!
        Suzanne

        To: ethical_witches@yahoogroups.com
        From: thunderhoofdesigns@...
        Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 22:55:19 -0800
        Subject: [Ethical_Witches] Traci Laird on Brighid

        From:  http://hedgeconfessions.com/2012/02/

        Brigid daughter of Dagda,

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013

          Hi Suzanne,

          Thanks!  You are very welcome!!

          I didn't realize that this is adapted from the Carmina gaedelica.  I'll have to pull my copy of it off the shelf and read it again, it's been years since I cracked it open.

          I hope the presentation that you and Linda are doing at BookWoman is well received.  I know it will be very special.

          Hugs,
          Stephanie

          I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
                                                                                         ~~ Galileo

          Thank you so much, Stephanie, for sending this to the list. Traci adapted this descant from the Carmina gaedelica (Alexander Carmichael's collection of Scottish Gaelic prayers, blessings, charms, etc., dating from late 19th to early 20th century), where it occurs in several versions. I think Traci credits the Carmina on her blog.

           <snip>