Re: Fw: [CUUPs Cafe] Dharma Dueling with Missionaries

  • Catseye
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
      My ex went them one better. He was getting ready to do an early Full Moon observance b/c he had plans with a bud that evening (this was before he met me), when there was a knock at his door, Thinking it might be his bud, he answered it, only to see 2 black-suited, bible-toting proselytizers. He's standing there in his hooded black robe with his 12" deer-horn-handled athame hanging off his belt, and he raised his arms and thundered: "IF YOU PEOPLE _EVER_ INTERRUPT ME IN THE MIDDLE OF A SPELL AGAIN, I'LL _TURN YOU ALL INTO *TOADS*!!!_"

      They turned around and _ran_ for their car and he was never bothered again.

      Catseye ( (|) )

      --- In Ethical_Witches@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie N. Canada" <thunderhoofdesigns@...> wrote:

      > Although Yew GrovePagan Interfaith is not part of CUUPS any longer, I still keep up with their yahoo group.  I wanted to share this, it's priceless.
      >
      > I'm going to print this out and take it on my front door, so I have the verse & reference handy next time!
      >
      > Namaste,
      > Stephanie
      > _____________________
      >
      > You will miss sunrise if you close your eyes
      > And that would break my heart in two.
      >                                --Townes Van Zandt

    • Stina Leicht
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
        A friend of mine once opened his door to find two Jehovah's Witnesses standing there. They launched into their spiel. He held up a hand. "Oh, right. Are you the ones that believe only 144,000 will be saved?" Slightly confused but happy that he was correct, they nodded. He asked, "Okay. How many members do you have in your church?" They replied, "Our church has grown to twelve million!" He looked at them both and replied, "I don't like those odds." and then shut the door.

        And that's my friend Joe, bats and ghouls.

        stina

        On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Catseye <catseye71352@...> wrote:

        My ex went them one better. He was getting ready to do an early Full Moon observance b/c he had plans with a bud that evening (this was before he met me), when there was a knock at his door, Thinking it might be his bud, he answered it, only to see 2 black-suited, bible-toting proselytizers. He's standing there in his hooded black robe with his 12" deer-horn-handled athame hanging off his belt, and he raised his arms and thundered: "IF YOU PEOPLE _EVER_ INTERRUPT ME IN THE MIDDLE OF A SPELL AGAIN, I'LL _TURN YOU ALL INTO *TOADS*!!!_"

        They turned around and _ran_ for their car and he was never bothered again.

        Catseye ( (|) )

        --- In Ethical_Witches@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie N. Canada" <thunderhoofdesigns@...> wrote:

        > Although Yew GrovePagan Interfaith is not part of CUUPS any longer, I still keep up with their yahoo group.  I wanted to share this, it's priceless.
        >

        > I'm going to print this out and take it on my front door, so I have the verse & reference handy next time!
        >
        > Namaste,
        > Stephanie
        > _____________________
        >

        > You will miss sunrise if you close your eyes
        > And that would break my heart in two.
        >                                --Townes Van Zandt

      • thunderhoofdesigns
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2011
          Some years ago, I had a Pagan couple tell me about the time am evamgelist couple came to their door; these evangelists brought their son who was about six years old, with them.

          Now the homeowners who answered the door had trained their dogs to respond to commands in German. One of the commands was for the dog to growl menacingly, but hold his ground and not attack. Did I mention that this was an Irish wolfhound?

          The husband gave the command; and the dog began to growl, deep and low. He told the family that they should leave right away because, "My dog eats Christians."

          I've lost count how many "funny" stories I've heard about how Pagans have responded to evangelists at their doors. I don't laugh at these stories. They make me sad.

          I am usually lazy and simply tell missionaries & evangelists that I have been "shunned". It's a grey lie, nearly all the door to door people will run away if you say that, as they are not supposed to even speak to you if they believe you are one of the ones cast out by their faith.

          It also has the advantage of discouraging them from returning for awhile; although this tends to work better with homes then apartments. Even so, they will wait some time, hoping that you will move away and new potential converts will move in.

          But I'm just being lazy when I do that.

          What I most appreciated about the post I forwarded from CUUPS-Cafe was that the poster was speaking to them on their own level.

          There will always be people who we; as Pagans, will never be able to reach. They will never understand, it is not in their nature to be open to other approaches to spirituality.

          What I can do, is not reinforce their notions that Pagans are mean, evil, nasty people.

          They may figure it out from our decorations in or outside of or homes. Or the pentacle we have on. Or the neighbor down the street may mention it. But if they figure out we are Witches, it will not be to our credit if we frighten or threaten them.

          I get angry sometime, just like anyone else. I get irritated, frustrated, and most often just weary.

          I wish there was a way that I could invite them in, and share with them what it means to me to be a Witch. Unfortunately, that would mean my doorbell would be ringing all the time, as they would see me as someone desperately in need of conversion.

          All I can do is send them on their way, without reinforcing the negative, stereotyped opinion they could form of me.

          Each step counts. If we don't want people to think the worst of us, we need to show them something better.

          Namaste,
          Stephanie
        • Maggi Joseph