Topic: Why Paganism?

  • Stephanie N. Canada
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
      So I was wondering...

      Why would you say you choose Paganism as a spiritual path?  What was the main reason you were drawn to it to begin with?  Why do you continue to follow it?

      Namaste,
      Stephanie
      __________________________

      Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens.           -- Carl Jung

    • Phaedrus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
        In My Humble Opinion,

        Paganism is a term that by original design was a term of segregation. From latin use by Catholic Church to describe all faiths that was not in the one true almighty GOD.

        Paganism has come to mean so much more since the New Age movement began. I chose a pagan path for much the same reason that the first definition of the term was designed. I wanted to distance myself from the Christian hypocrisy I saw in the Church I was a youth minister in.

        Paganism today offers freedom of and from belief. This is important to me as I started walking a very spiritual path very early in life and the spoon fed version offered by other faiths were clearly not going to cut it for me.

        The power of you to OWN a faith forged in the crucible of personal path exploration, and to obtain belief through the power of reasoning instead of blind acceptance. These are the reasons for my continued faith in my Pagan beliefs, for it's ever expanding knowledge base, and continued strength that I can rely on to know, not think, but know, the path that I walk is my own and that I am in the power to modify, add to or subtract as I go along. :)

        (I think division is only possible with when everyone in the group think you are all in the same belief system. How many Christians faiths are there now? )

        We also have our issues that coincide with this lack of structure. We have a hard time selling our Pagan belief as a legit as a religion when we have 12 pagans interviewed that will offer 28 cosmologies and will fluctuate sometimes from statement to statement as to their beliefs. We have also reached the point in the pagan faith that enough stuff has been printed and rehashed as to start to create rules and dogma. Which if we go back in history all the ancient religions did have. Rituals, rules, guidelines and all the trappings of politics and ceremony many of today's pagans would find most distasteful.

        What Pagan means to me is freedom. Freedom to look into and investigate all of my Taoist Zen-christian Buddhist Universal beliefs. :)

        Sincerely,
        Larry Clements HP

        --- In Ethical_Witches@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie N. Canada" <thunderhoofdesigns@...> wrote:

        > So I was wondering...
        >
        > Why would you say you choose Paganism as a spiritual path?  What was the main reason you were drawn to it to begin with?  Why do you continue to follow it?
        >
        > Namaste,
        > Stephanie
        >
        > __________________________
        >
        > Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens.           -- Carl Jung

      • Dark Owl
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
          On Monday, January 03, 2011 03:27:59 pm you wrote:
          > So I was wondering...
          >
          > Why would you say you choose Paganism as a spiritual path? What was the
          > main reason you were drawn to it to begin with? Why do you continue to
          > follow it?
          > Namaste,
          > Stephanie

          I don't really follow paganism as a path. The term "pagan" is to borrow from
          our Biologist friends "pagan" is a "polyphyletic" classification.

          There is no evidence that all the tendencies classified as "pagan" have a
          common origin in history. There is no one idea that underlies all the ideology
          of all the people who are classified as pagan. The very term "pagan" originates
          with people who were hostile to "pagans". The term is defined by negation.

          There may be some branches of so-called paganism that I do not approve of.
          I hold no brief for paganism as such.

          Nevertheless, I classify as "pagan" from the point of view of those who
          believe in that classification system.

          Nevertheless as soon as I began to understand the monotheistic religion in
          which I was raised, I realized that it was false and bad. Naturally one
          searches for something else.

          I also have reservations about "spiritual". I have known people who actually
          were "spiritual". They seemed to do it by becoming so involved in whatever
          they were doing that they forgot that they had a "self". The concept
          "spiritual" had 0 use for them. The term "spiritual" seems to focus a person
          on the self.

          There are no worms on the planet more miserable than those who try to be
          "spiritual".

          You are better off forgetting about "spiritual" and trying to do something
          constructive that helps other people.
        • Stephanie N. Canada
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
            Hmmm; if I am reading this right, then both of the previous posters see the term "Pagan" as perjorative, or at least not an appropriate term to convey the direction they are going.

            Anyone care to put an alternate term out there?  If "Pagan" or "spiritual" doesn't work for you, what would be better?

            Namaste,
            Stephanie