Warning: If you get a message from Grouply

  • Stephanie N. Canada
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      http://www.ncs- tech.org/ ?p=1146

      Comment: here is what I've gotten:

      There are a few new services coming online which are social
      "networking" sites similar to My Space and Facebook. One of these new
      services is called "Grouply". Grouply is tapping Yahoo lists and
      reposting the messages to Grouply members. As soon as ONE list member
      joins this service, all of our messages will then be archived by
      Grouply. Grouply changes your email address to (yourname)@grouply. com.
      for the purpose of your Yahoo list mail only. They will also go into
      your Yahoo account and change all of your preferences regarding how
      you view your mail, whether you get individual posts or digests, and
      whether you can be directly added to any of a million other Yahoo
      groups
      .

      In order to do this, Grouply requires that you give them your Yahoo ID
      and password. I am truly hoping that most of our members are smart
      enough not to hand over that information to ANYONE--especially to
      another web service! There is no guarantee that this information that
      Grouply is aggregating is secure, thus leaving your sign-in info
      available to spammers and hackers--including all of our list files and
      photos.

      At this point, there is no way for us to block Grouply's access to our
      list (although that is being worked on). Until there is, I will be
      checking daily for list members who may have innocently joined
      Grouply. I will be unsubbing and banning them, plus making direct
      contact with them explaining why we will not allow this in our
      membership. They will be welcome to rejoin once they unsub from Grouply.

      Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
      Caveats: NONE