16471942: Test flight planned for wingless Eshelman airplane. , 10/5/2013, 12:00 am

  • Eshelman@yahoogroups.com
    Oct 4, 2013
      Reminder from: Eshelman Yahoo Group

      Title: 1942: Test flight planned for wingless Eshelman airplane.

      Date: Saturday October 5, 2013
      Time: 12:00 am - 12:00 am (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time - Dublin / Edinburgh / Lisbon / London
      Location: Baltimore, Maryland.
      Notes: (The Frederick (MD) Post): The third version of inventor Cheston Eshelmans "Flying Flounder" - longer, lighter and more streamlined than its predecessors - will be given tests by Army and Navy officials within the next few weeks, Eshelman said today. What's more, he predicted it would be accepted and would "still get in the war".

      The latest model of the wingless plane, completed in about eight weeks' time, is 20 feet long and 18 feet wide, and is constructed of lighter materials than its predecessors.
      The first "Flying Flounder" crashed on its initial flight, but a second made 63 successful tests, Eshelman said, and "passed everything we asked of it."
      The third model will take to the air in about a week and will be given extensive tests by the Clifton L. Eshelman Company before being turned over to military officials for tests, the inventor said.
      He asserted that if powered by a 1,200 horsepower motor his wingless plane would achieve 50 miles per hour - a speed greater than the fastest combat planes of regulation design now in service. "We have had the approval of * * * well-known aviation experts - everyone who has come in contact with the plane," Eshelman said. But there are still some officials in Washington who are holding up the building of this plane for combat use. I think this model will convince them."

      Copyright © 2013  Yahoo Inc. All Rights Reserved | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy