Re: Cape Campo

  • yooticus
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2007
      --- In Escape_from_the_Fellowship@yahoogroups.com, kenhaining777
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > So, where does Campochrist fit into the fellowship these days? A
      leader
      > who left in 2001 told me that Campo was "miffed" about not being
      > included in the new and improved board of elders. Is his reaction
      > become an isolated part of Wayman's World? I am sure he is keeping
      up
      > his "protection money," aka, his church tithe. Otherwise, they
      would
      > have come for his soul a long time ago. However, I can't help but
      > wonder where my old ex friend is in all of this. At one time he
      thought
      > he was heir to the throne. Now, I am hearing that he has severe
      health
      > problems. So, why no current pictures?

      I asked a current and longtime Doorite about this very thing a while
      back....his opinion was that Campo has been excluded from the upper
      echelons due to his weight - Mitch & Warner's hatred of "fat" people
      is well-known. My informant pleaded ignorance concerning Campo's
      doctrinal & control issues; he believes Campo is still one of CFM's
      best. This conversation happened before the last Tucson conference
      where Campo was pictured on the website playing a gig with The
      Captain...so apparently the stroke hasn't put an end to that side of
      him.
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 1, 2007

        [I asked a current and longtime Doorite about this very thing a while
        back....his opinion was that Campo has been excluded from the upper
        echelons due to his weight - Mitch & Warner's hatred of "fat" people
        is well-known. My informant pleaded ignorance concerning Campo's
        doctrinal & control issues; he believes Campo is still one of CFM's
        best. This conversation happened before the last Tucson conference
        where Campo was pictured on the website playing a gig with The
        Captain...so apparently the stroke hasn't put an end to that side of
        him.]

        Really?  The man who "turned me in" to Mitch tended to be quite hefty.  He reported me doing away with the media rules and my criticism of the fellowship structure.  A guess a fat informant is worth his weight in something.

        Campo's pattern was to assume more and more power, at least in his own mind.  He used to introduce himself as "the Pastor of the East Coast."  Is he still doing a conference?

        Pretty strange stuff.  I don't see him preaching any conferences.  Maybe it is his health, and maybe not.

        Thanks for the update.  Let us know if find out anything else.

        Shalom

      • yooticus
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2007

          --- In Escape_from_the_Fellowship@yahoogroups.com, kenhaining777 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Really?  The man who "turned me in" to Mitch tended to be quite hefty.
          > He reported me doing away with the media rules and my criticism of the
          > fellowship structure.  A guess a fat informant is worth his weight in
          > something.

          When Curt McKinney came to assist in Tucson Harold made him join Weight Watchers under threat of losing his preaching privelege. Curt did lose some weight at first and made mention of it in most of his early sermons, but it might have been more from delayed paychecks from Harold than any program.

          Maybe as the big shots age & enlarge, "weight" carries less weight than when everyone was young, energetic & beautiful. But back then, fat folks were spoken about with a certain open contempt, sometimes from the pulpit. One Saturday night we had an outside music group come in, an all-girl power trio thing. One or two of them carried a few extra pounds, nothing grotesque and certainly not unheard of in the Christian music world. Next morning Harold remarked that he wouldn't want to run into any of them in a dark alley. I dunno, fun's fun, but there are some things you just don't want to hear in the context of a "spirit-filled" gathering. Ahem, there I go being religious again....

          > Campo's pattern was to assume more and more power, at least in his own
          > mind.  He used to introduce himself as "the Pastor of the East Coast."
          > Is he still doing a conference?
          >
          > Pretty strange stuff.  I don't see him preaching any conferences.  Maybe
          > it is his health, and maybe not.

          The operative words in my post was "current member"; this fellow wasn't about to criticize or offer any dirt on the CFM leadership process, if he even had any.  Like often happens, when you question a member about some recent fellowship news or policy updates they get a blank look and that's your answer....unless they respond with a trite catch-all, such as  "fat people are self-centered, that's why the brother can't move up in ministry." That seemed to be where this guy was coming from.

        • madatgravity06
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 4, 2007
            Had a revival at church years ago and it was on weight.  Sure enough, the alter call was for "fat people".   There was a Christian weight program called The Weigh Down diet that came through our church that was pretty popular.  It was a money scam in my eyes but was endorsed by the pastor.  I don't remember anyone losing weight though :P

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2007

              --- In Escape_from_the_Fellowship@yahoogroups.com, madatgravity06 <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Had a revival at church years ago and it was on weight. Sure enough,
              > the alter call was for "fat people". There was a Christian weight
              > program called The Weigh Down diet that came through our church that was
              > pretty popular. It was a money scam in my eyes but was endorsed by the
              > pastor. I don't remember anyone losing weight though :P

              VERRRRY INTERESTING. The Weigh Down program is an outreach program of another cult founded by a woman named Gwen Shamblin. I read about this last year after hearing that a local church was getting involved in the program. A quick Google reveals tons of info about her, the program, and the experiences of some who got trapped by them. For example:

              Dear Review Editors of Chase Freedom,

              I read your review of the Weigh Down Diet at www.chasefreedom.com. I am writing to inform you that in my opinion, based on my personal experience and the experience of many others, The Weigh Down Workshop has turned into a recruiting ground for Remnant Fellowship, a church that Gwen Shamblin founded in the spring of 1999. Remnant Fellowship exhibits many of the characteristics of a cult, and has been responsible for driving wedges into many family relationships and recruiting participants out of their churches.

              They're accused of the kind of abuses as CFM; wonder how deep this association goes? Who's the pastor you're referring to? Are there some Mitchell boys doing the horizontal aerobics with Jezebel?

            • madatgravity06
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 5, 2007
                Dave Fowles was the pastor at the time the diet program came through the church.  His pastor is Loui Labato.
                --- In Escape_from_the_Fellowship@yahoogroups.com, yooticus <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > --- In Escape_from_the_Fellowship@yahoogroups.com, madatgravity06
                > no_reply@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Had a revival at church years ago and it was on weight. Sure enough,
                > > the alter call was for "fat people". There was a Christian weight
                > > program called The Weigh Down diet that came through our church that
                > was
                > > pretty popular. It was a money scam in my eyes but was endorsed by the
                > > pastor. I don't remember anyone losing weight though :P
                >

                > VERRRRY INTERESTING. The Weigh Down program is an outreach program of
                > another cult founded by a woman named Gwen Shamblin. I read about this
                > last year after hearing that a local church was getting involved in the
                > program. A quick Google reveals tons of info about her, the program, and
                > the experiences of some who got trapped by them. For example:
                >
                > Dear Review Editors of Chase Freedom,
                >
                > I read your review of the Weigh Down Diet at www.chasefreedom.com. I am
                > writing to inform you that in my opinion, based on my personal
                > experience and the experience of many others, The Weigh Down Workshop
                > has turned into a recruiting ground for Remnant Fellowship, a church
                > that Gwen Shamblin founded in the spring of 1999. Remnant Fellowship
                > exhibits many of the characteristics of a cult, and has been responsible
                > for driving wedges into many family relationships and recruiting
                > participants out of their churches.
                >
                > They're accused of the kind of abuses as CFM; wonder how deep this
                > association goes? Who's the pastor you're referring to? Are there some
                > Mitchell boys doing the horizontal aerobics with Jezebel?

              • shazzamlightining
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 5, 2007
                  Unrelated. When I decided to leave the fellowship in 2005 a friend of
                  mine wanted me to stay. I suggested to him that he should leave as he
                  could see all the crap going on there. We'll I left. He decided to
                  stay and work things out. Needless to say the PH leadership released
                  the inquistion on him. They even had campo himself come down for
                  revival, most of campo's sermons were aimed at my friend. I heard
                  from other people that it was the worst revival ever. I'm sure that
                  the pastor was feeding campo all sorts of info as the sermons
                  contained items that my friend and the pastor knew. I am glad to say
                  that my friend left a few months later. I really feel sorry that he
                  had to get raked over the coals.. but I'm glad he's out.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 5, 2007

                    [Unrelated. When I decided to leave the fellowship in 2005 a friend of
                    mine wanted me to stay. I suggested to him that he should leave as he
                    could see all the crap going on there. We'll I left. He decided to
                    stay and work things out. Needless to say the PH leadership released
                    the inquistion on him. They even had campo himself come down for
                    revival, most of campo's sermons were aimed at my friend. I heard
                    from other people that it was the worst revival ever. I'm sure that
                    the pastor was feeding campo all sorts of info as the sermons
                    contained items that my friend and the pastor knew. I am glad to say
                    that my friend left a few months later. I really feel sorry that he
                    had to get raked over the coals.. but I'm glad he's out.]

                    You are most likely very correct.  Web and Campo go way back.  They were in a music group together called Oil of Joy in the very early days in Tucson.  I have a photo or two of Mike playing drums with long flowing blonde hair.

                    Sermons in the fellowship are designed to control.  Most fellowship pastors get far more of their "inspiration" from getting feedback from the congregation than they do from the Bible.  In fact, their supposed Bible inspirations are based on them wanting to preach on something and then taking out of context Scripture to make it seem to work.  I can hear Mike complaining to Paul about your friend, and Campo getting "inspired."  These guys couldn't preach a Biblical sermon if they tried.

                    The good thing is that sometimes they go overboard in targetting someone, and then that leads to the person getting out.  It is not a pleasant experience, but there is hardly a pleasant way to leave the Wonderful World of Wayman.  Glad he made it out.