Early Morning Prayer Meetings

    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2013
      I noticed, a while back, that the early morning prayer meetings suddenly vanished on one of the calendars on one of the fellowship websites.  There was a mid morning prayer meeting listed on Saturday, but the 7 AM or 5 AM week day prayer meetings no longer appeared.  So, I am wondering if they have abandoned these early morning sessions of wailing in tongues, etc.?

      When I first starting attending the church in Tucson, the prayer meetings were at 10:30 AM.  At one point Mitch decided that we needed to have an early prayer meeting on week days so that people, especially "disciples," could pray before going to work.  Needless to say that this added to the heavy yoke of the fellowship, and to the exhaustion that being a part of that group tended towards.  If you were serious about getting "sent out," then you had better be in those early morning prayer meetings. Generally, they were at 7 AM or earlier.

      I suppose with today's schedules, and both husband and wife working in most cases, that they may have decided to drop these prayer meetings in the early morning.  They were virtually replicas of the prayer meetings that we had before service, with pastor and his disciples going through the usual prayer patterns.  Sleep deprived disciples saying the same stuff "to God" that they would repeat in the evening prayer meetings.  Didn't Jesus say something about praying in vain repetitions?  I would imagine that many a pastor would be relieved to drop those early morning rituals.

      So, does anyone know if they dropped those week day morning prayer meetings?

    • johnstonmatt
      Message 2 of 3 , May 19, 2013
        Far from dissapearing, they are still considered the "defining mark of the fellowship" and "what has made our fellowship have such a great impact in the earth". I know of people who have been told to change jobs so they can make morning prayer. The sad thing is they discourage any sort of open conversation with God and are just another way to impress the pastor. Not that i go, but the few times that i have its the same robotic, repetative prayers that are high on quoting random scriptures in an attempt to sound spiritual and contain almost zero honesty.

        Morning prayer is still considered as a requirement for those wanting to get sent out and they use the usual scriptures of seeking God early in the morning as justification for it. Far better to be honest before God on your own then fake in front of the pastor.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2013

          johnstonmatt said:

          [Far from dissapearing, they are still considered the "defining mark of the
          fellowship" and "what has made our fellowship have such a great impact in the
          earth". I know of people who have been told to change jobs so they can make
          morning prayer. The sad thing is they discourage any sort of open conversation
          with God and are just another way to impress the pastor. Not that i go, but the
          few times that i have its the same robotic, repetative prayers that are high on
          quoting random scriptures in an attempt to sound spiritual and contain almost
          zero honesty.

          Morning prayer is still considered as a requirement for those wanting to get
          sent out and they use the usual scriptures of seeking God early in the morning
          as justification for it. Far better to be honest before God on your own then
          fake in front of the pastor.]

          Perhaps some churches are experimenting with not doing them, I don't know.  On the church website I looked at, the early morning week day prayers vanished, but the Saturday 10:00 AM prayer meeting was still listed on the calendar.

          Essentially the morning prayer meetings are replicas of the vain repetitions that you hear in the evening prayer meetings that they have before Wednesday night and Sunday night services.  They follow this weird pattern, and as you say, they are pretty much performing for the pastor, not God, to hear.

          One of the factors in my eventual departure from Waymanland had to do with my staying after morning prayer meetings and praying on my own, and reading the Bible just for myself.  I determined to simply talk to God, and left out the "tongues."  I actually started using my mind to pray.  Fellowship style prayers are, in fact, very mindless in their nature.  Really, most fellowship activities are fairly mindless.  Getting your thought processes going again is contrary to staying in that religious group.

          Thanks for the update.  Sounds like the same old same old at the Kingdom of Wayman.