Re: Passing of Walter Portugal

  • its_just_me_nancy
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 23, 2013

      Wow. Alice Cooper for 50 cents! Cool. What years was this group Eden playing? I think I may have still been in High School.

      Nancy

      --- In Escape_from_the_Fellowship@yahoogroups.com, "grandpawizard22" wrote:

      > In Eden Walter played base, Steve played lead guitar, Ron Burrell played rhythm and some lead and Curt McKinney played drums. I remember going to dances as a teenager they played at in the old armory in Prescott. We used to see Alice Cooper before he made it big for fifty cents.
      >
      > Steve Heroux in my opinion was one of the best lead guitarist I've ever seen.
      > Hope all is well
      > Frank
      >
      > --- In Escape_from_the_Fellowship@yahoogroups.com, yooticus no_reply@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Walter was my favorite musician in the Fellowship. I only got to see him
      > > play twice but I still have some tapes of his from the 80s and they're
      > > the only CFM tapes I keep around my "real" music. There were hotter lead
      > > guitar players around but Walter had much more - great voice, soulful
      > > delivery, a real knack for picking songs....he also played rhythm guitar
      > > with finesse, something I hold dear but isn't heard much anymore. He
      > > made a wonderful sound. I wish I could have heard Eden back in the day -
      > > but then, I might have been taken in and brainwashed at a much younger
      > > and more vulnerable age so it's likely all for the best I didn't.
      > > I don't know what he was like as a person or pastor, I only had one
      > > abrupt little talk with him, and it seemed some other people in my
      > > church openly disliked him for reasons I didn't understand then and
      > > don't care to now. But the part of him I saw will always be appreciated.
      > > Bless you Walter. I liked your style.

    • grandpawizard22
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 23, 2013
        When I saw Alice Cooper, and the band Eden was playing at dances, before waymanland, I was probably fourteen which would have made it around 1967. I don't know if you remember them, but the band 'The Tubes' also used to play and they went by the name 'The Beans'. It was a very fun time in my life even thought it was blurred by drugs. Better that than the oppression of the little dictator lol.

        Hope all is well

        Frank

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 25, 2013

          I turned 10 years old in November of 1967.  Never heard of the Beans! So, Eden was a secular band that got saved or something?!  I'm sure a lot of people's minds were blurred by drugs in 1967.

           In 1973 when I was 15 years old I dropped a 4-way tab of windowpane acid. Needless to say after seeing my face melt in the mirror, shag carpet moving around like blowing grass, cars driving by with tracers behind them, hallucinating and being scared shitless for almost 24 hours,  thinking I would never come out of it and my parents would think I was insane. I NEVER tried that again! :-s

          LIVE AND LEARN.

          Peace, Nancy

        • Christian
          Message 4 of 11 , May 29, 2013