Re: Why Religion...

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2012

      Perry said:

      [I don't fear oblivion per se, I simply regret that existence will end. I like
      being alive and conscious. It also saddens me that the sun will eventually
      become a brown giant, engulfing the Earth. And the Milky Way and the Andromeda
      galaxy will eventually collide, but the Earth will be long gone by then. The
      theory of the heat death of the universe is also rather depressing.]

      This provokes a lot of thought.

      Death is essentially related to change, and so is life.  There are so many theories of this Universe we find ourselves in that you could spend a life time discussing them.  And I suppose that is what some lucky few scientists get to do.  The Earth, with all its life, quite likely is the result of the "death" of other facets of the Universe.

      Thoughts of eternal souls come to mind.  A soul is a unique individual, such as Perry, who is most likely eternal.  At least that is what I think.

      Perhaps more of this over the weekend.

      Live Long and Prosper