Re: [Escape_from_the_Fellowship] Re: About agnosticism

  • Renae Farrington
    Message 1 of 126 , Oct 1, 2009
      No Perry, you're missing what I'm trying to say.

      I'm saying these conclusions (or hypotheses) are not DISprovable.

      You can't currently DISPROVE that the universe is expanding. That may be possibly in the future.

      You can't DISPROVE the evolution hypothesis.

      And how do you currently prove that the universe is finite?

      THe only constraints I'm placing on the hypotheses are modern technology.

      Heh. I've gotten a bee in your bonnet about Einstein.
      Remember, I said he was AS MUCH a philosopher as a scientist. So if he was a great scientist, he was also a great philosopher.
      When I said special relativity was just a theory, you're right, i probably shouldn't have "left it at that". It is an incredible theory based on observations and really complicated and fascinating equations. It's so good that it's most probably correct.

      Renae

      On 01/10/2009, at 3:03 AM, Loki wrote:

      True science? Is there another type?

      The "modern concept of science" is more easily described as the general misconception of what science really is. There's true science and there's what people think science is.

      You're not grasping the concept of falsifiability. You're stating that evolution is not a falsifiable hypothesis because you can't prove evolution conclusively. But finding conclusive proof has nothing to do with falsifiability. Falsifiability is about making suggestions and providing a framework within which the suggestions can be refuted.

      You're confusing falsifiability with provability.

      Any quack can come up with unassailable arguments. All you have to do is impose so many constraints on your ideas that nobody can refute them. But that's not science.

      Again, you state that it's impossible to prove that the universe is infinite. It clearly shows that you haven't understood what falsifiability means. What you're talking about is provability. The statement "the universe is infinite" is definitely falsifiable. In order to falsify it, all you have to do is prove that it's finite.

      But I agree with you that the suggestion is not scientific. You're correct on that, but your reasoning is flawed. Right conclusion, wrong reasoning.

      Again, proving something is a certain distance away is not falsifiability. It's provability. But then, stating that a celestial object is a certain distance away is not a hypothesis to begin with -- it's an observation.

      Einstein's theory of special relativity provides a framework for experimentation and observation which can be used to refute the predictions made by Einstein. So far nobody has been able to contradict special relativity. Therefore objections to it are irrelevant. It's so "easy" to disprove special relativity: just provide one valid observation that contradicts it. Just one. Go on.

      This is where you completely miss the point of science. You say that special relativity is "just" a theory, but could you also provide evidence of anyone who has ever refuted it? It's not like it isn't falsifiable. It doesn't mean it's true. Einstein may well have been wrong, but we haven't found any evidence of that so far.

      P.

      Message 126 of 126 , Oct 6, 2009
        Renae said:

        [Don't say that only the religious do that Ken.
        The pseudo-scientificeligious do it too!]

        The key is whether or not any given research scientist allows for truly critical review by peers.  It is also a test of those doing the reviews.  It takes a real scientist to admit that one of his pet theories just got thoroughly trashed.