Re: Blessed Are the Peacemakers

    Message 1 of 90 , Sep 1, 2009
      Renae said:

      [Well Ken... this is never going to come out right no matter how I say it, but remember we were talking about morals and trying to be objective....

      The person who thinks that a death brings justice has a very unevolved sense of justice.]

      Jehovah said:

      But if there is a man who hates his neighbor and lies in wait for him and rises up against him and strikes him so that he dies, and he flees to one of these cities, then the elders of his city shall send and take him from there and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die. You shall not pity him, but you shall purge the blood of the innocent from Israel, that it may go well with you.  (Deuteronomy 19:11-13)

      God says that the death penalty purges innocent blood from a nation.  If you fail to execute the murderer, the innocent blood remains as a testimony and a curse against that nation.  Jehovah wasn't advanced enough for you?  His sense of justice was unevolved?

      Jesus said:

      The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. And he sent out his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding feast, and they were unwilling to come. Again he sent out other slaves saying, Tell those who have been invited, Behold, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and my fattened livestock are all butchered and everything is ready; come to the wedding feast." But they paid no attention and went their way, one to his own farm, another to his business, and the rest seized his slaves and mistreated them and killed them. But the king was enraged, and he sent his armies and destroyed those murderers and set their city on fire.   (Matthew 22:1-7)

      Obviously, the king in the parable represents God.  Even in the New Testament, God had only one penalty for murderers.

      The Apostle Paul said:

      Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.

      The government authorities brought wrath on evil doers with the sword.  They didn't beat you with a sword in the Roman Empire.  They killed you.  Here Paul is saying that God will carry out the death penalty through government authorities.

      You talk about the Judeo - Christian ethics, and then you totally contradict both the Old and New Testament teachings on how murderers are supposed to be punished.  Essentially the Bible teaches if you don't execute the murderer, you don't purge the innocent blood from the nation.  Therefore God will avenge the innocent blood on the whole nation for their failure to administer justice. Your pity of murderers is an offense to God.

      I guess I believe the Bible more than you do.

      Message 90 of 90 , Sep 4, 2009
        [Which is probably why i am so incredibly depressed all the time.

        Renae]

        I just get angry.  This world could be so much better for people, but that old philosophical thought is true: Those wise enough to not want to rule soon find themselves ruled by the less wise.