Re: PSYCHO-CFM 101

  • its_just_me_nancy
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hey, bless your heart sweetie,

      Nude or whatever..

      It really is hard when the eye's come open,

      and one can SEE.

      I am not one for words,

      but I know you have SEEN,

      Blessings to you.... I'm glad you are still amongst the living,

      for some reason my heart is hurting for you... i don't say things like
      that lightly

      and so, just know that, God loves you,

      The main thing is

      : HE is is not mad at you, and ALL things are going to come 'out in the
      wash". * sorry, that is texan, for "everything WILL be okay".

      .. precisosa, no lloras, y' ...

      shalom,...
      --- In Escape_from_the_Fellowship@yahoogroups.com, icdeadworks
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Actually, I was teasing about the mirror and the nude. In those
      chapters, early in the class, all I cared about was getting the answers
      right on my exams and finishing the writing assignments. The only thing
      that truely bothered me (and many who came after him), as far as Freud
      goes, was the whole idea he proposed that sex and aggression are the
      primary motivating forces of human behavior (although CFM has seemed to
      have built some doctrines from that weirded-out idea, especially when it
      comes to women). Of course, today, the classroom focus is the
      relationship between genetics and environment being interactive; each
      influences the other. that was my professors pet issue - no longer
      nature vs. nurture. big issue on the test. Freud, James-Lange, all that
      historical literature read early on to set up for the real focus and
      current issues deeper into the chapters. It's been very interesting. I
      was so surprised to see how much has been done - a lot of references to
      dates and relevant studies of today are past 1984, which is the last
      time I sat in a psych class. that is something I did not expect but
      thrilled to find.

      > You once said, the further I get away the more I'd see. Didn't really
      expect to see it in a textbook. But there it is. My final reading (not
      there yet) is on cultic practices.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
        [Hmm. Interesting. Has there ever been a study done on how obedience can mask bad behavior? It could be included in a different study, my intro-psych class didn't cover anything like it. If there isn't one, you should find a grant. And if you don't mind, I'd like to contribute a few articles. lol

        greetings-
        icdeadworks]

        In terms of social psychology there have been some studies done, in the past, concerning why, for example, Nazi soldiers could commit such horrific acts, and when confronted after the war, cop to the, "I was just following orders," plea.  It's been over three decades since I read any of that, but basically it was considered to be a transference of responsibility that allowed the person to be aggressive and cruel without the usual consequence of their conscience coming back on them.  In other words, a lot of them really liked doing what they were doing, and could now do it under a cloak of justification. Watching some of the films of that time is horrifying, especially when you see the expressions of glee on the faces of soldiers as they do something like beat a 12 year old Jewish girl to death with a rifle butt.

        There is an old saying that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.  However, Abraham Lincoln put it a different way, which I consider more correct. He said, "Most men can handle adversity.  But if you want to find out what a man is really like, give him power."  If someone is given a license to be brutal and cruel, by something like "following orders," then you will see what they are really like.

        Just like with the Milgram study, there were certain men in the Nazi empire who could not go along with the viciousness of that group.  Again, they were in the minority.  We are all familiar, due to the movie, with Oskar Schindler saving as many Jews as he could, and to his own financial ruin.  They were a lot of others, who at the risk, and sometimes the cost, of their own lives, made every attempt to save Jews and others that the Nazi empire was persecuting.

        So, what makes the difference in these people?  I could speculate, but there is something in them that gives them a stronger conscience, and real sense of right and wrong.  They seem to be much more aware of other people and their needs, feelings, etc.  When certain appointed leaders in the fellowship were ordered to write hate mail to Ron Jones and some of the others who left in 1990, they refused, and were themselves forced out of the fellowship.  Why did they refuse, while others gladly wrote elaborate hate letters?

        Interesting stuff.

        Shalom to you
        Ken

      • icdeadworks
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
          Nancy -

          so good to 'chat' with ya!
          thank you for the sweet thoughts and yes, a bit heart broken over here. Some very, very devasting news about a childhood friend and I am just ... I just can't imagine my life without her, scared to even imagine my life without her. she needs a tremendous intervention of prayer and situational change that will help her to be better. I'm here and she is in Texas so that makes it even more difficult. Studies are helping to keep my mind off of it and she had some surgery last month to try to help so it's just a 'wait and see' at this point.

          and yes, everything does come out in the wash. God is not mad at me, CFM wants to believe he is but that is NOT true. Especially since he is the one that rose up to protect me when noone else was willing to recognize the truths and he has continued to bless, protect, and help us. Someone from our old church finally came by a couple of weeks ago and left a flyer on the door - I happened to be in the foyer turning off a light when I heard the paper being crammed in the door jam. So I looked out the peep hole thinking it was one of them since it was what used to be our mid-week outreach night, 8:00pm, and sure enough! There walks off a guy we were once very close to. The church we were once at has relocated 1.5 miles from our house a couple of months ago and I told my husband that I was surprised it took someone this long to do that. We had been expecting it. I stepped out the front door and I was curt but calm, said "look, we are NOT coming back, so just leave us alone," and immediately went back inside. He was surprised by my attitude, again deliberate, and I felt bad, still do, and later praying about it, in my heart it was like "you needed to make a stand". And it's true, I did need to because this is how it's going to be. Our postition is, to them we say - guys, you're there, enjoy your time there because when you move AGAIN we'll still be here, going on with our lives as we have for the last 4.5 years, unphased as to how you feel over matters you don't get, were not a part of, and know nothing about. This is the second time that church has moved since we left. At least Home Depot appreciates them.

          I was in New Braunfels last month for nephews graduation. We drove. At one point, my husband was on his phone yacking with his brother in N. Carolina and I was in the back watching my husbands Jet li/Jackie Chan "Forbidden Kingdom". These days, technology has made that drive so much more tolerable than when we used to have nothing but the dirt rolling by!

          Watching this Gov. of S. Carolina? Today reports very interesting. Confessing to being a man whore and will now TRY to fall back in love with his wife - he told the media that! Can you imagine being her and hearing him say that to the world?! What a self-serving bastard.

          hope you're all good, sweetie!

          - icdeadworks

          --- In Escape_from_the_Fellowship@yahoogroups.com, its_just_me_nancy <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > mental
          > > > image of Freud will forever be of his lab in which he had the
          > 'dusty'
          > > > table mirror beside the naked broad on the divan.]
          > > >
          > > > Sigmund Freud had an unfortunate fling with cocaine, believing it
          > was a
          > > > miracle drug. However, once it was shown to be nothing more than a
          > > > narcotic, he abandoned it for his research of the human psyche.
          > > >
          > > > No one was able to ever pin any immoral behavior on Freud. Bashing
          > > > Freud has always been popular, as many do not like the things that
          > he
          > > > brought out of the closet into the sunlight. In today's politically
          > > > correct environment at universities, some psychology professors will
          > > > fail you for endorsing Sigmund Freud's theories. But Freud will be
          > > > remembered long after those professors are gone.

        • its_just_me_nancy
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 6, 2009

            Hey girl,

            I am sorry to hear about your friend.  It is strange how I became worried for you out of nowhere, especially since we have not been in contact.  Just goes to show that God can and does use foolish things (me) when He so desires.

            You said you were in New Braunfels?  You have no idea how close you were to my house.  Since we live on the northern outskirts of San Antonio (Converse Tx), I am only about 20 minutes from New Braunfels.  We could've met up and ate some german sausage and chewed the fat awhile!

            Peace, Nancy