Cichlid

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2012
      Two of my African cichlids just had guppies. Now what? I've moved out the other fish for my tank to keep the guppies from becoming food. But what do I do now. I've never raised fish before.
    • Dale
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2012
        Well, they shouldn't be guppies - they should be baby african cichlids. You should take out the adults - even the parents (though some cichlids are very good parents) may eat the fry. That will keep them safe. One good thing about the fry, they will take flake food -grind it up in your fingers as you feed so it is fine. Next to to check intake of filters, they could get sucked into them and you either need to change filters, or put something over the intake (filter pad with rubber bands or sponge type. Don't user household sponge - they come with chemicals in them. Other option is to move the fry to another tank - but don't know if that it an option - I usually move the female that is holding (a lot of african are mouth breeders) and let her release in a separate tank - then move her back to the main tank. You'll enjoy raising the little guys - it is one of the best things about the hobby.