Placentitis - length of treatment

  • curlyhorse
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
      I have a friend that emailed me about premature udder development in her mare that is 240 days into gestation. Her vet is not exactly experienced in these matters but she read herself up on the internet and asked to get a rx for antibiotics. So now the mare is on tribrissen-sulfa.

      The question is now how long one should treat, unless the mare actually aborts (which is not so unlikely, unfortunately).

      She has uploaded some pictures of the mare here:
      http://hest.no/blogg/?bid=11049

      Symptoms: some bloody and slimy discharge, large udder, milk has streamed onto hind legs, oedema of the belly. Otherwise the mare seems unaffected, eating well.

      Cause is unknown but may be endotoxins from haylage.

      The vet is not able to US for CTUP.

      I said the mare in this severe case possibly should be on antibiotics untill she foals (or aborts) but that seems quite long, perhaps 3 months?

      Any other treatment you would recommend (progestogen?)

      Have you had much luck culturing discharge to find the exact pathogen?

      I have warned her that she may expect, if the foal goes full term, a shorter gestation, and that placenta previa and thick amnion sack is something that she should be prepared for.

      Thanks for any help you can provide.

      Lene
    • Spanish Skippa
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
        My German is very weak. Are you sure of the URL to the photos?

        sent from the Corpus Christi area
        on the South Texas Gulf Coast

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2012
          Sorry, meant to say the mare is on trimethoprim-sulfa (in this case Tribrissen).

          Lene

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2012
            Sorry, the url changed after a new blog entry was made. Here is the direct url: http://hest.no/blogg/?bid=11049&blid=975691

            No wonder your German seemed weak, it is Norwegian;-)

            Lene
          • Jos Mottershead
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 29, 2012
              On 2/27/2012 8:30 AM curlyhorse wrote:
              > I have a friend that emailed me about premature udder development in her mare that is 240 days into gestation... the mare is on tribrissen-sulfa.
              >
              > The question is now how long one should treat, unless the mare actually aborts (which is not so unlikely, unfortunately).

              It is standard to continue antibiotic treatment through to foaling. It is also worth considering that if it is placentitis, then the foal has
              potentially been exposed to a pathogen in-utero and therefore may be at increased risk for neonatal septicaemia. Some practitioners therefore like to
              treat the foal with a course of antibiotics at birth in that situation. Note that if that is the decided course, broad-spectrum antibiotics are
              usually used in a full course (i.e. not just one treatment). Bear in mind too that if placentitis is present, placental attachment may be compromised,
              so "red bag" delivery (placenta previa) is more likely, and hence attendance at foaling is of paramount importance.

              Additional treatment for placentitis includes Progestin therapy (usually until about 310 days); NSAID therapy - usually flunixin meglumine - again
              usually until around 310 days; Pentoxyfilline to 310 days; Estrogen to term.

              Hope this helps.

              Jos Mottershead
              Have us perform a pre-season semen
              extender evaluation for your stallion!
              http://www.equine-reproduction.com/evaluations
            • curlyhorse
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
                Thanks very much, Jos, I've let the mare owner know.

                I am not sure if all the additional therapy is available in Norway (flunixin, yes). Do you have any brand names, method of administration and recommended dosage? That would probably help the veterinarian here.

                Lene