mare aborted last night.. question if there could be a twin still in there?

  • promisedlandgold
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2012
      My mare, pregnant with her 9th foal.. due end of May.. aborted what looked like a perfectly normal beautiful filly during the night last night.

      She appeared to me to be the size you would expect for a foal with 90 days more to grow and all.. but we got to thinking.. the mare still looks the same size as she did before she lost the baby..

      is there ANY chance there is a live foal still in there?

      She passed the foal, with sac intact, and complete healthy looking placenta.. all at once.. I saw no umbilical cord twists.. absolutely nothing to indicate any problem at all.

      Thirty years of breeding, as many as 4-5-7 foals a year.. and this is my FIRST aborted foal. :(

      Thankfully mom is doing well.. knew something was wrong with the foal.. it was dead.. she has had 8 huge live foals.. so knew the difference, so no problem with her...

      I did have a friends mare here, YEARS and YEARS ago.. abort a fetus.. looked like it was made of liver.. and then deliver a LIVE foal 5 months later...

      Thanks for the help.

      patty clark
      Ohio
    • Cindy Moore
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2012
        I would say the only way to find out is a vet to check her, and soon.

        ~Cindy~
        On the back of a horse, you will find Paradise......Stella A Walker