Re: [EquineRepro] day length and cycling

  • Scott Bailey
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2012
      Mares living ON the equator have been shown to cycle irregularly, but not constantly. However, as little as a 15-20 minute difference of light exposure is sufficient to introduce seasonality. That being said, temperature fluctuation as well as light fluctuation has an effect on cycling. Thus, mares close to the equator cycle somewhat earlier than mares in Canada. Interestingly, within the latitudes most of us inhabit, there is very little difference. Comparing cyclicity of mares in Germany and England to that of mares in FL, you will find only a few weeks difference in average onset of the breeding season (If I remember right, in North Carolina, the average mare has her first ovulation in early April). That being said, there is great variation between breeds and individuals. Ponies tend to cycle later, whereas arabians and thoroughbreds tend to cycle earlier. 10-20% of mares cylce year-round, but most do not do so for more than 1-2 years in a row.

      C. Scott