Haitian Rice & Beans

  • Dana Kayal
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      I learned how to cook this when I was in Haiti vacationing/working at
      the Orphanage my mom and dad built. I spent many hours in the kitchen
      watching Marta, the housekeeper, preparing dinner. We didn't speak the
      same language so she'd use hand gestures etc. Rice and Beans is eaten
      by everyone, everywhere, and often is the only meal of the day, or is
      all 3 meals in a day. I was watching intently one day so I could
      recreate this and mid way through the dish she pulled out some VE 3
      Onion dip mix and sprinkled it in. I burst out laughing. I'd travelled
      2 days to a third world country and was learning how to make the
      authentic meals and here's a jar of 3 Onion going into the dish! When I
      told my mother how funny I found it she burst out laughing too because
      she had no idea her cook was using the Epicure spices in the Haitian
      food and my Mom was wondering why she was going through so much Onion
      Dip!

      I've changed it to a healthier version with less salt, more beans etc.
      It's a favorite in our house and it's very healthy.

      Bean & Rice

      2 cups black beans 7 cups water 6 lg garlic cloves Handful
      Cilantro 1 Tbsp VE Onion Dip Mix

      Bring to a boil, simmer ~ 2 hours (I've never actually paid attention, I
      start it mid-afternnon, and just check it and when the beans are
      softening I add the rice)

      Add 1 cup Brown Rice (or 2 cups rice and more water). In Haiti this
      would be mainly white rice with flecks of beans because that's all they
      can afford, so I've changed it up to be healthier and more filling.
      Cook 40 mins for brown rice or 20 for white. Once it's cooked let it
      sit with lid on until you're ready to serve.

      Chicken Creole Sauce

      11-12 Chicken Pieces (leg and thighs), skin removed 1 small Onion,
      thinly sliced Saute chicken and onion in saucepan, brown.

      4 cups Water 6-8 Cloves Garlic 3-4 Magii Bouillion Cubes
      1 Tbsp Tomato Paste Add, simmer ~40 mins. Again, I'm not
      sure...

      2 Tbsp VE Onion Mix Handful of Cilantro Add last two
      spices and thicken with cornstarch if runny.

      If you're like me and just let it cook until you're ready to eat the
      chicken will be falling off the bone.

      To serve pour Creole Sauce over rice & beans and grind on Chili Garlic
      Sea Salt