- I found this recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens website, and
adapted it for use with our great Epicure products. These would be a
fun appetizer at an Epicure Tasting Party, or any other time! We
found Jalapeno beer to use in the batter at a microbrewery here in
Halifax, and to serve as an accompaniment to the peppers.
Be sure to use gloves, or wash your hands thoroughly after handling
20 jalapeno peppers
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup cream cheese mixed with 1/2 tsp. 3 Onion Dip Mix
1/2 tsp ground VE Cumin
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 tsp VE Baking Powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup beer or milk
cooking oil or shortening for frying
sour cream (optional) mixed with 3 Onion Dip Mix (for dipping)
1. Make a T-shape cut in the side of each pepper (the cross-bar
should be at the top of the pepper), remove seeds.
2. For filling, combine shredded cheese, cream cheese mixture, and
cumin until blended. Pack about 2 teaspoons of the filling into each
3. For batter, in a bowl combine flour, cornmeal baking powder, and
salt. Add beer or milk. Beat until smooth.
4. In a heavy saucepan or deep fryer heat cooking oil to 375 degrees
F. Dip stuffed peppers into batter. Fry several peppers at a time,
about two minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain; keep
warm in a 300 degree F oven while frying remaining peppers. Serve
with sour cream/3 Onion mix, if desired. Makes 20 servings.