Jalapeno Rellenos

  • Jessica Polden
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2003
      I found this recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens website, and
      adapted it for use with our great Epicure products. These would be a
      fun appetizer at an Epicure Tasting Party, or any other time! We
      found Jalapeno beer to use in the batter at a microbrewery here in
      Halifax, and to serve as an accompaniment to the peppers.
      Be sure to use gloves, or wash your hands thoroughly after handling
      the peppers!!

      Jalapeno Rellenos

      20 jalapeno peppers
      3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
      1/2 cup cream cheese mixed with 1/2 tsp. 3 Onion Dip Mix
      1/2 tsp ground VE Cumin
      3/4 cup all-purpose flour
      1/4 cup cornmeal
      1/4 tsp VE Baking Powder
      1/4 tsp salt
      3/4 cup beer or milk
      cooking oil or shortening for frying
      sour cream (optional) mixed with 3 Onion Dip Mix (for dipping)

      1. Make a T-shape cut in the side of each pepper (the cross-bar
      should be at the top of the pepper), remove seeds.

      2. For filling, combine shredded cheese, cream cheese mixture, and
      cumin until blended. Pack about 2 teaspoons of the filling into each
      pepper.

      3. For batter, in a bowl combine flour, cornmeal baking powder, and
      salt. Add beer or milk. Beat until smooth.

      4. In a heavy saucepan or deep fryer heat cooking oil to 375 degrees
      F. Dip stuffed peppers into batter. Fry several peppers at a time,
      about two minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain; keep
      warm in a 300 degree F oven while frying remaining peppers. Serve
      with sour cream/3 Onion mix, if desired. Makes 20 servings.