Roasted Maple Butternut Bisque

  • wsquaredca
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2009
      I made this soup the other day as I had some squashes I needed to use
      up - I did a search on line and found a soup recipe and epi'd it...

      2 butternut squash (this time I used a butternut & a Kabocha)
      2 T butter
      1 T flour
      1/2 large onion (diced)
      1 1/4c milk
      1 can chicken broth
      1 T Maple Spice Fruit Dip Mix (heaping)
      few dashes of cayenne pepper
      4-5 turns from each the salt & peppers grinders
      handful of roasted pecans

      cut squashes in half length wise, place cut sides up on a cookie
      sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and
      pepper. Roast at 350 for 45-60 minutes.

      Shortly before the squashes are done, start with the butter and
      onions your large multi pot - allow to come to the point of being
      carmelized. Add the flour and brown. Whisk in milk and broth (I
      chose not to use the Epi base as it is already seasoned) - bring to
      low boil. Add maple spice, cayenne, salt and pepper. Scoop the
      cooked squash out of the skins and add to soup base. Using a stick
      blender, puree squash into the soup base. Allow to simmer on low
      heat for about an hour. Serve in bowls topped with chopped roasted
      pecans.

      The original recipe called for the addition of heavy cream (1/2 c)
      which I omitted as I prefer a thick soup- but you can sure add if you
      like.

      Enjoy!