Vegetarian Antipasto

  • Nicole Hannah
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2008
      A few months ago I sent out a request for the Vegetarian Antipasto recipe, since I had lost mine. I even contacted Epicure to try and purchase the recipe book. Nobody could help...I just found my recipe and, it is sooo good I had to share it! (if you have Costcos in your area, it is very much like the one they sell at about $9 a jar). Paired with some cheese and/or crackers it makes a wonderful hostess gift.

      Vegetarian Antipasto-makes 18 X 8oz (250ml) jars

      Antipasto can be made in the fall to be ready for Chirstmas

      1 cup olive oil
      1 large cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
      2 large green peppers, chopped
      2 - 10 oz cans sliced ripe olives
      16 oz jar green olives with pimento, coarsely chopped
      2 - 13 oz jars pickled onions, drained and coarsely chopped
      2 - 10 oz cans mushrooms, stems and pieces
      6 cups of ketchup
      3 Tbsp VE Pesto Herb Mix
      2 Tbsp VE Focaccia Bread Spices
      VE Chili Flakes, to taste
      coarsely ground VE Black Peppercorns, to taste
      1 - 14 oz bottle chili sauce

      1.Combine all ingredients in large, deep pot. Simmer slowly, stirring frequently for 20 minutes. Ladle antipasto into sterilized jars and apply new lids.
      2.To process, place jars on rack in large canning kettle. Add water 3/4 of the way up jars. Cover pot with a lid and bring water to a boil. Simmer for at least 20 minutes. Let cool. Tighten lids after they "pop" and store in a cool dark place. A "popping" sound is made when processed jars begin to cool and a vacuum is created for an airtight seal.