Re: [EpicureRecipes] Star Anise

  • Margaret Morgan
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2006
      I was told by a customer, that she always uses Star Anise in chicken noodle
      soup and also Butter Soup. The lady said that the Minnonites use star anise
      in butter soup, I tried it and is really good. You could taste it but were
      not sure what had been added.
      pawsouth@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006
        I like Star Anise in my rice!

        It can be used in certain Chinese dishes such as red-cooked dishes where meats are slow-simmered as well as some Vietnamese and Malaysian recipes, as well as savoury dishes, combining with fish, poultry, lamb and beef. It can also be used to substitute Anise seeds in recipes - 1 crushed star anise = 1/2 teaspoon crushed anise seed.

        Its great as a main course, in soups, as well as desserts & cakes.

        Here are couple dessert suggestions:

        Venezuelan Chocolate Ice Cream

        Makes approx 720ml/24fl.oz.

        Ingredients
        480ml/16fl.oz. Single Cream
        1 Vanilla Bean (pod)
        2 Cinnamon Sticks
        5 Whole Cloves
        2 Whole Star Anise
        5 Egg Yolks
        125g/-5oz Sugar
        175g/6oz Extra Bitter Chocolate, melted

        Instructions

        1. Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds. Place the cream, vanilla seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise in a medium saucepan and heat to simmering point. Set aside.

        2. Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk until well blended.

        3. Gradually add the cream mixture to egg mixture, whisking constantly.

        4. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.

        5. Immediately strain the mixture into the melted chocolate and whisk well.

        6. Allow to cool then freeze-churn in an ice cream machine, for about 20 minutes or follow the manufacturers directions.

        Spiced Almond Biscotti

        Ingredients

        2 large Eggs

        1/2 teasp Vanilla Extract

        100g/4oz Sugar

        150g/+5oz Self Raising Flour

        1/2 teasp Ground Star Anise

        75g/3oz Almonds, very roughly chopped

        Instructions

        1. Preheat the oven to 150C, 300F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly oil the lined sheet.

        2. Place the eggs in a large bowl and beat until frothy.

        3. Add the sugar to the eggs and mix well.

        3. Stir the flour and star anise into egg mixture and beat with a wooden spoon.

        4. Mix in the nuts then turn onto a well floured surface and knead gently for about 2 minutes.

        5. Divide the dough in two and shape each half of the dough into a long log about 7.5cm/ 2 ½ inch wide. Place at least 4 inches apart on the baking sheet and smooth the tops and sides with a rubber spatula. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the logs are firm when pressed in the centre.

        9. Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Do not turn off the oven. Slide the logs onto a cutting board. With a large serrated knife, cut each log diagonally into 12mm/ ½ inch slices. Stand the slices upright on edge of the baking tray and return to the oven for 15 minutes longer, or until crisp. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

        Biscotti are traditionally served with coffee as "dunkers". They are supposed to be hard so don't try eating them without dunking first!

        **************************************************************************************************************

        Enjoy,

        Marnie

        > Does anyone have any recipes for Star Anise besides Sambuca? I am
        > most interested in dessert recipes but anything will do.
        > Thanks.
        >

        > All recipes sumitted have not been tested by the Victorian Epicure
        Research and Development team unless otherwise posted.

        > Victorian Epicure (Epicure Selections) do not take any responsibilities on
        any posted messages.Community email addresses:
        > Post message: epicurerecipes@yahoogroups.com
        > Subscribe: epicurerecipes-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        All recipes sumitted have not been tested by the Victorian Epicure Research and Development team unless otherwise posted.

        Victorian Epicure (Epicure Selections) do not take any responsibilities on any posted messages.Community email addresses:
        Post message: epicurerecipes@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: epicurerecipes-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:

      • tryanewspice
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17, 2006
          Here are a few recipes to try with STAR ANISE

          Good luck!
          Emilee

          Syrup for Summer Fruits
          3 cups water
          1 cup sugar
          2 VE STAR ANISE
          6 VE BLACK PEPPERCORNS
          1 fresh red chili (small thin one)
          1 lemon- zest removed and juice set aside.

          Combine all the ingredients with the exception of the lemon juice. Use
          a stainless steel saucepan, and simmer the syrup gently for 10
          minutes, then remove from heat.
          Stir in lemon juice into syrup and set aside while preparing fruit.
          Use any combination of fresh sliced nectarines, peaches, raspberries,
          blueberries or strawberries. Cover fruit with warm syrup and chill
          until ready to serve. Serve with POUDRE DOUCE flavored crème fraiche.

          Moloki Ribs
          Serves 8
          5 – 6 lbs pork spareribs, cut into individual pieces
          3 medium onions
          6 Tbsp soy sauce, divided
          ¼ tsp. ground VE PEPPER
          6 whole VE STAR ANISE
          1 Tbsp vegetable oil
          1 tsp. VE GINGER
          1 tsp. VE NONYA SEASONING
          1/2 cup honey
          2 Tbsp. brown sugar
          1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
          1 Tbsp lemon juice

          Place cut ribs in a large Dutch oven. Peel and slice 2 of the onions,
          add to the ribs.
          Add 4 Tbsp of soy sauce, pepper and STAR ANISE. Bring to a boil,
          cover, reduce heat and simmer until ribs are tender (1-11/2 hours)
          While ribs are simmering make sauce. Finely chop remaining onion. Heat
          oil in a large skillet over low heat and cook onions till golden. Add
          GINGER, honey, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and
          remaining soy sauce. Bring to a boil and then set aside. When ribs are
          tender, remove from pot and arrange in a single layer on parchment
          paper lined baking tray. Pour sauce over ribs. Bake uncovered in 400
          oven for ½ hour, basting often with pan drippings.

          * Also add to milk in rice or tapioca pudding.*

          --- In EpicureRecipes@yahoogroups.com, Colleen Ludwig
          <colleen.ludwig@...> wrote:

          > Put a Star Anise in the milk when you make rice pudding or tapioca.
          It's