Saffron??

  • matmrt49
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
      I have recently had several people ask me about Saffron and how to use
      it. Does anyone have a recipe for it that isn't rice? I would like to
      feature it in one of my January parties.
    • Michelle Zimmer
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
        If you look under the 'literature' section on epicure's website, under
        'recipes' you'll find a brochure for 'spanish saffron' - should give you a
        few ideas :)

        m.
        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

        Michelle Zimmer

        Independent Sales Consultant
        Epicure Selections
        306.249.4309

        www.epicureselections.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
          Hi,

          Here is one of our favorite Paella recipes:

          1/2 cup Dry white wine
          1 ts saffron (azafrán)
          Olive oil or Pam
          1/2 cup chopped onion
          1 cup long grain rice or yellow rice with zaffron (Mahatma is one brand)
          1 red bell pepper
          1 orange bell pepper
          3 cups chicken stock
          6 oz breast of chicken, skinless
          1/2 lb fresh shrimp
          1 lb mussels
          2 lb clams
          2, 3 oz lobster tails
          1/2 cup artichoke hearts
          1 cup frozen peas
          1/2 cup chopped tomato

          matmrt49 <mike_marny@...> wrote:
          I have recently had several people ask me about Saffron and how to use
          it. Does anyone have a recipe for it that isn't rice? I would like to
          feature it in one of my January parties.

          All recipes sumitted have not been tested by the Victorian Epicure Research and Development team unless otherwise posted.

          Victorian Epicure (Epicure Selections) do not take any responsibilities on any posted messages.Community email addresses:
          Post message: epicurerecipes@yahoogroups.com
          Subscribe: epicurerecipes-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:

          ---------------------------------

        • the lee's

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
              Hi,
              Sorry about that. It is a really great recipe. We occassionally omit the lobster, or fish. As long as the chicken, sausage and mussels are there, it is fantastic.

              Here are the directions:

              Preheat oven at 350*
              Let peas defrost
              Chop the onion, tomato and bell peppers
              Peel the shrimp (this is a science of which we can talk some other time)
              Cut the chicken in small cubes
              Scrub the clams and mussels, discarding any that are open (dead)
              Cooking:
              Spray the frying pan with PAM or olive oil
              Preheat the frying pan for one minute at med-high heat
              Sauté the onion 2-3 mins until limp and brown
              Add the rice, sauté until golden stirring so it won't burn
              Add the wine and saffron (if not already in the rice) and stir until all the wine is absorbed
              Stir in the peppers
              Add 2 cups of chicken stock, 1/4 cup at a time stirring until the rice absorbs the stock (this is going to take a while)
              Add the last cup of chicken stock
              Add the cubed chicken
              Add the shrimp, clams, lobster and mussels, tucking them in the rice
              Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until mussels open
              Add the peas, tomato and artichokes and bake for 2 more minutes
              The smaller the clams are, the better, since they cook faster and are easier to eat.
              To peal shrimp easily:

              Hold the shrimp so that you can grab it from the back and peel off the legs of the shrimp
              Peel off a piece of the shell around the head area
              Hold on to the head area of the shrimp and pull the tail, when done correctly the whole shell while come out.

              matmrt49 <mike_marny@...> wrote:
[...]

              Cooking recipes Easy cooking recipes Food recipes Healthy cooking recipe Cooking food Cooking recipe software