weekly recipe

  • hq@epicureselections.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2001
      Thursday May 31st, 2001

      Crab and Lemon Fettucine
      Serves 4

      1 lb (500g) fettucine
      2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
      1 small red pepper, diced
      1 small onion, diced
      2 cloves garlic, crushed
      1 Tbsp (15ml) fresh lemon zest
      2 Tbsp (30ml) lemon juice
      2 tsp (10ml) VE Lemon Dilly Dip Mix
      2-4oz (120g) cans crab meat, drained
      VE Sea Salt & VE Pepper to taste

      1. In pasta pot cook fettucine according to package directions. Drain
      and reserve 1 cup (250ml) of cooking liquid.
      2. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in frying pan. Cook red
      pepper, onion, garlic over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add lemon zest,
      juice, VE Lemon Dilly Dip Mix and crab meat. Cook until crab is heated
      through. Season to taste with VE Sea Salt 7 VE Pepper. Add reserved
      pasta water for additional moisture. Toss with hot pasta and serve
    • hq
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2001
        September 13th, 2001

        Here is a great recipe - they are yummy and the recipe makes a lot! You
        can make 20 extra large cookies, or bake regular ones. With a recipe
        this large, you might want to bake half and freeze the remainder. I
        suggest rolling the cookies into 2" balls, freezing them on a parchment
        lined bun pan and when they are frozen completely, store them in an
        airtight container. When you are ready to bake these, place on parchment
        lined baking sheets, thaw partially, press down slightly. Bake according
        to following recipe. Enjoy!

        Lunch Box Cookies
        Makes 20

        2 cups (500ml) all-purpose flour
        2 cups (500ml) large flake oats
        1 tsp (5ml) baking soda
        ½ tsp (2.5ml) VE Baking Powder
        ½ tsp (2.5ml) salt
        1 cup (250ml) butter at room temperature
        3/4 cup (180ml) white sugar
        3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp (210ml) packed brown sugar
        2 large eggs
        1 tsp (5ml) VE Vanilla Extract
        1 ½ cup (375ml) VE Belgian Chocolate or 3/4 cup (180ml) each of VE
        Belgian Chocolate and VE Dried Fruits
        1 cup (250ml) toasted walnuts

        1.Preheat oven to 350°F.
        2. Whisk together first 5 ingredients.
        3. Cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs
        and VE Vanilla Extract. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Fold
        in VE Belgian Chocolate (and VE Dried Fruits) and toasted walnuts. Chill
        for 30 minutes.
        4. Form into balls using 1/4 cup of dough for each. Place on parchment
        lined baking sheet and press to form 3 ½" rounds. Bake 12 minutes or
        until golden at the edges.
      • hq
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2001
          October 4th, 2001

          Here's wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! It is a wonderful holiday,
          sharing a hearty meal as you celebrate with family and friends. I hope
          your holiday weekend will include our favorite seasonal blends - a hot
          buttered rum or a mulled wine (cider, apple or cranberry juice). I am
          sure you all have your favorite family recipes for this time of year -
          but how about a new recipe or two? I have had calls from customers
          wondering how much of the Holiday Seasoning to use - so I will once
          again offer up this recipe that was created at the same time as our
          Holiday Blend.

          Speaking of Holiday Blend - I did have a call from one of our most
          ‘seasoned' cooks who wondered about the ‘little furry bits' in the
          Holiday Seasoning - she was relieved to hear that this is in fact ‘wooly
          sage'. It is quite different in appearance from the ground sage that we
          are all used to, but the taste is just as wonderful.

          Holiday Stuffing
          For a 12 lb. Turkey

          3/4 cup (180ml) cup diced onion
          1 ½ cups (375ml) diced celery
          ½ cup (125ml) butter
          ½ to 3/4 cup (125 to 180ml) chicken stock *
          7 cups (1.75L) soft bread crumbs
          1 cup (250ml) VE Dried Fruit
          1 cups (250 ml) diced apple
          1 Tbsp (15ml) VE Holiday Seasoning
          Season to taste with VE Sea Salt & VE Pepper

          1. In a large pan, sauté onions and celery in butter until onion is
          tender. Add VE Dried Fruits, diced apple and VE Holiday Seasoning. Add
          chicken (or vegetable)* stock, bring to a quick boil, then remove from
          heat.
          2. Add to bread crumbs, season to taste with VE Sea Salt & VE Pepper.
          Toss gently to combine.
          3. Stuff turkey (loosely) just before roasting. Rub skin with VE Oven
          Roast or Poultry Seasoning and coarsely grind VE Sea Salt over the
          surface. Roast according to your favorite recipe.

          *NOTE: Use vegetable stock to create a Savoury Vegetarian Casserole.

          Vegetarian Main Course

          It is easy to accommodate a vegetarian guest at this time of year.
          Prepare the above stuffing using vegetable stock. Scoop the seeds out of
          a small pumpkin or cut a squash in half. Partially bake in 350°F oven
          for 20 minutes. Spoon prepared stuffing into cavity. This can be done
          ahead of time.
          Finish baking at 350°F while you are cooking the remainder of the meal.