Ambrosia Salad

  • Betty Tillman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      I have a recipe that I use called 24 hour Salad which is very similar.
      I have the other as well but can't put my hands on it right now.

      24 Hour Salad
      1 can pitted light or dark sweet cherries, drained
      2 cans pineapple chunks (13 1/4 oz ea) drained and cut in half (save 2
      tbsp juice for dressing)
      (I use pineapple tidbits)
      3 oranges Pared, sectioned and cut op or 2 cans (11 oz ea) mandarin
      orance segments, drained.
      1 cup miniature marshmallows.
      All frest fruit can be used and coconut can be added.
      Prepare Old Fashioned Fruit Dressing. Combine fruits and marshmallows.
      Pour the dressing over the ingredients and toss. Cover and chill 12 to
      24 hours.
      Serve in salad bowl or lettuce cups.

      OLD FASHIONED FRUIT DRESSING
      2 eggs, beaten
      2 tbsp sugar
      2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
      2 tbsp pineapple juice (from can)
      1 tbsp better or margarine
      Dash of VE Sea Salt
      3/4 cup chilled whipping cream
      Combine all ingredieents except whipping cream in a small saucepan.
      Heat just to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool.
      In a chilled bowl beat the cream until stiff. Fold in the egg mixture.

      This takes a bit more time but is worth the effort.

      This is another one

      Five Cup Salad

      1 cup Sour Cream
      1 cup miniature marshmallows
      1 cup cocoanut
      1 cup Mandarin oranges drained
      1 cup pineapple tidbits
      dash of VE sea salt (optional)
      Mix 1 hour before serving. May decorate with marachine cherries