weekly recipe

  • hq@epicureselections.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2001
      Thursday March 29th, 2001

      Southwest Chicken, Corn and Lime Soup
      Serves 6

      1 ½ tsp (7.5ml) vegetable oil
      1 ½ cups (750ml) finely diced onion
      5 cups (1.25L) chicken broth
      1- 14 oz (385ml) can diced tomatoes
      2 cups (500ml) frozen corn kernels

      1 1/4 tsp (6.25ml) ground VE Cumin
      1 Tbsp (15ml) VE Caliente Salsa Spice Mix
      2 boneless chicken breasts, skinned and thinly sliced (or diced)
      2 Tbsp (30ml) fresh lime juice (reamer)
      crumbled tortilla chips

      1. Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
      2. Add diced onion and garlic, VE Cumin and saute until onion is
      softened.
      3. Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, corn kernels, VE Caliente Salsa
      Spice Mix.
      4. Reduce heat and simmer until corn is tender and flavors begin to
      blend.
      5. Add chicken, simmer for 4 minutes, add lime juice. Serve
      immediately.
      6. Add crumbled tortilla chips to this soup before serving.
    • hq@epicureselections.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 2:52 PM
        Thursday May 31st, 2001

        Crab and Lemon Fettucine
        Serves 4

        1 lb (500g) fettucine
        2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
        1 small red pepper, diced
        1 small onion, diced
        2 cloves garlic, crushed
        1 Tbsp (15ml) fresh lemon zest
        2 Tbsp (30ml) lemon juice
        2 tsp (10ml) VE Lemon Dilly Dip Mix
        2-4oz (120g) cans crab meat, drained
        VE Sea Salt & VE Pepper to taste

        1. In pasta pot cook fettucine according to package directions. Drain
        and reserve 1 cup (250ml) of cooking liquid.
        2. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in frying pan. Cook red
        pepper, onion, garlic over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add lemon zest,
        juice, VE Lemon Dilly Dip Mix and crab meat. Cook until crab is heated
        through. Season to taste with VE Sea Salt 7 VE Pepper. Add reserved
        pasta water for additional moisture. Toss with hot pasta and serve
      • hq
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2001
          September 13th, 2001

          Here is a great recipe - they are yummy and the recipe makes a lot! You
          can make 20 extra large cookies, or bake regular ones. With a recipe
          this large, you might want to bake half and freeze the remainder. I
          suggest rolling the cookies into 2" balls, freezing them on a parchment
          lined bun pan and when they are frozen completely, store them in an
          airtight container. When you are ready to bake these, place on parchment
          lined baking sheets, thaw partially, press down slightly. Bake according
          to following recipe. Enjoy!

          Lunch Box Cookies
          Makes 20

          2 cups (500ml) all-purpose flour
          2 cups (500ml) large flake oats
          1 tsp (5ml) baking soda
          ½ tsp (2.5ml) VE Baking Powder
          ½ tsp (2.5ml) salt
          1 cup (250ml) butter at room temperature
          3/4 cup (180ml) white sugar
          3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp (210ml) packed brown sugar
          2 large eggs
          1 tsp (5ml) VE Vanilla Extract
          1 ½ cup (375ml) VE Belgian Chocolate or 3/4 cup (180ml) each of VE
          Belgian Chocolate and VE Dried Fruits
          1 cup (250ml) toasted walnuts

          1.Preheat oven to 350°F.
          2. Whisk together first 5 ingredients.
          3. Cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs
          and VE Vanilla Extract. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Fold
          in VE Belgian Chocolate (and VE Dried Fruits) and toasted walnuts. Chill
          for 30 minutes.
          4. Form into balls using 1/4 cup of dough for each. Place on parchment
          lined baking sheet and press to form 3 ½" rounds. Bake 12 minutes or
          until golden at the edges.
        • hq
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2001
            October 4th, 2001

            Here's wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! It is a wonderful holiday,
            sharing a hearty meal as you celebrate with family and friends. I hope
            your holiday weekend will include our favorite seasonal blends - a hot
            buttered rum or a mulled wine (cider, apple or cranberry juice). I am
            sure you all have your favorite family recipes for this time of year -
            but how about a new recipe or two? I have had calls from customers
            wondering how much of the Holiday Seasoning to use - so I will once
            again offer up this recipe that was created at the same time as our
            Holiday Blend.

            Speaking of Holiday Blend - I did have a call from one of our most
            ‘seasoned' cooks who wondered about the ‘little furry bits' in the
            Holiday Seasoning - she was relieved to hear that this is in fact ‘wooly
            sage'. It is quite different in appearance from the ground sage that we
            are all used to, but the taste is just as wonderful.

            Holiday Stuffing
            For a 12 lb. Turkey

            3/4 cup (180ml) cup diced onion
            1 ½ cups (375ml) diced celery
            ½ cup (125ml) butter
            ½ to 3/4 cup (125 to 180ml) chicken stock *
            7 cups (1.75L) soft bread crumbs
            1 cup (250ml) VE Dried Fruit
            1 cups (250 ml) diced apple
            1 Tbsp (15ml) VE Holiday Seasoning
            Season to taste with VE Sea Salt & VE Pepper

            1. In a large pan, sauté onions and celery in butter until onion is
            tender. Add VE Dried Fruits, diced apple and VE Holiday Seasoning. Add
            chicken (or vegetable)* stock, bring to a quick boil, then remove from
            heat.
            2. Add to bread crumbs, season to taste with VE Sea Salt & VE Pepper.
            Toss gently to combine.
            3. Stuff turkey (loosely) just before roasting. Rub skin with VE Oven
            Roast or Poultry Seasoning and coarsely grind VE Sea Salt over the
            surface. Roast according to your favorite recipe.

            *NOTE: Use vegetable stock to create a Savoury Vegetarian Casserole.

            Vegetarian Main Course

            It is easy to accommodate a vegetarian guest at this time of year.
            Prepare the above stuffing using vegetable stock. Scoop the seeds out of
            a small pumpkin or cut a squash in half. Partially bake in 350°F oven
            for 20 minutes. Spoon prepared stuffing into cavity. This can be done
            ahead of time.
            Finish baking at 350°F while you are cooking the remainder of the meal.